Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This website "slaps" all GM lovers in the face.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Apr 22, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

This website \"slaps\" all GM lovers in the face.

www.PistonSlap.com

Whats your opinion?

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Re: This website \"slaps\" all GM lovers in the face.

Linky no worky

3. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

my 2002 6.0 did it so I kind of agree with the site, the part about GM saying it is normal is true. I personaly thought the 6.0 was a piece o' crap The old 5.7's were much better engines.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Good Site...Good Information...GM is screwing me over on this problem. I dont think its a slap in the face for GM lovers, I think when I buy a nearly $40K limited edition car, and it has a piston slap problem, GM says they're going to have a fix for it, then tell me its not a problem and to get screwed, Screw them.

I own 4 GM vehicles. My 02 Hawk fits the "Like A Knock" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Heres the link Pistonslap.com

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

If you owned one you would realize there telling the truth on that site.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think there should be more sites like it.
    How about' WhereistheCamaro?.com or Whydontyoubuildrealtrucks.com

GM "Like A Knock" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally i couldnt caree any less about what stuff is built these days, its all crap, IMHO, ever since FI systems came around on RWD's and maybe even before then really,

a real vehicle was a 67-72 K20 or C30 R05 dually., etc and so forth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree, everything made by the big three today sucks the fat one.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my mom is buying a new car, she had a 94 2500 extended cab, then her 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, now shes looking for foreign, dad refuses to buy domestic. I don't blame him, I wouldn't buy a brand new truck. I like my 97, thats the newest I can see myself getting.

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Yep, GM is SLAPPING us in OUR face with junk. If i bought new, I'd buy dodge /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I must agree, only thing I would buy brand new is a 3500 SRW dodge, with a Cummins and a 6 speed.

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I was lookng at one until i talked with a service tech whos says they cant keep ball joints in the front end. I confirmed this with a couple contractors that own them too. So im back to looking for a mid 90s 12v witha pt pump and a 5 speed.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good choice, I'd really like to put a 12V and a 5 speed in my Chevy pikcup, but after spending 5k and it having a perfectly good Vortec 350 and auto trans I'd feel bad.

14. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

that site is very right, at work my boss has a 97 4x4 1500 series 5.7 with 60,000 miles on it, and it is maintained cause he is a mechanic. monday and tuesday i spent the day putting a jasper 5.7 into a 99 4x4 2500 series that had 42,000 on it, and next week mid week i am doing another 5.7 in a 98 4x4 1500 series same thing... also (ot) gm recalled the tailgate straps on 99-recent pickups cause they are prone to break but not all owners are getting the paperwork... i am rather dis-appointed myself...

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    personally i couldnt caree any less about what stuff is built these days, its all crap, IMHO, ever since FI systems came around on RWD's and maybe even before then really,

a real vehicle was a 67-72 K20 or C30 R05 dually., etc and so forth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, All the new Duramax/allison chevys are junk with their 310HP/590ft lbs of torque STOCK motors and how lame is getting another 155+ HP out of it by just plugging in a programmer and not even getting your hands dirty. It's also pretty lame how they can out haul and pull bigger loads than any earlier models. Heated & cooled leather seats, Dual climate control, dual 110a alts., better lighting than ever before, huge AAM 11.5" rear axle with STOCK disc brakes, Bose stereo, better paint technology. Yep, all lame. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do agree that IFS is junk though, for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How about the new Super duties? The new 6.0 Power Stroke is becoming a liked item especially in the DHRA, not to mention it's revving capabilities vs. othe and older diesel motors. I am probably going to buy a Ford SD 6.0 this fall.

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, All the new Duramax/allison chevys are junk with their 310HP/590ft lbs of torque STOCK motors and how lame is getting another 155+ HP out of it by just plugging in a programmer and not even getting your hands dirty. It's also pretty lame how they can out haul and pull bigger loads than any earlier models. Heated & cooled leather seats, Dual climate control, dual 110a alts., better lighting than ever before, huge AAM 11.5" rear axle with STOCK disc brakes, Bose stereo, better paint technology. Yep, all lame. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do agree that IFS is junk though, for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How about the new Super duties? The new 6.0 Power Stroke is becoming a liked item especially in the DHRA, not to mention it's revving capabilities vs. othe and older diesel motors. I am probably going to buy a Ford SD 6.0 this fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who designed the duramax? Isuzu

Who builds the trans? Alison

Who builds the powerstroke? Navistar(read:International)

(I think we all know whats in the dodge)

Sorry but the big three cant build a new vehicle for crap these days. At least not on their own. Planned obsolesence. They want you to come back and buy another car in 50K miles when yours starts having problems.

I wouldnt buy a new gas domestic pickup if you paid me to. Every one of the big 3 has their own unique problems. If i had to buy a new pickup it would be a dodge with the cummins and the 6-speed. I dont care what the isuzumax is rated at, it still is no cummins.

And why would anybody need heated leather seats in a truck /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cummins comes with 600ft lbs of torque now. And they gain the same if not more than Duramaxs with a little work. But as was aid, none of the big 3 have anything to do with their best parts. Bose audio, umm bose makes it, thats their thing. My dad's gasser F250 has rear discs woohoo. Like was said, 6.0 is an International motor as all the f350 down diesels of recent have been in fords. Cummins obviouslly makes the cummins, and as was stated the Isuzu Duramax. New Venture makes the good sticks in the Dodges.

18. rjfguitar

So whats the big deal? So international makes the powerstroke yada yada yada.... Think about those names. International has been around for YEARS building all kinds of different stuff from farm equipment( I have an international tractor) to semis. Allison? Do I have to say anything? Allison is the leading HD auto tranny maker. Izuzu sucks, I am not a big fan of the duramax myself but can say I am impressed by their acceleration and power output aftermarket companies are getting out of them. American Axle manuf. made the corporate axle for a while(Correct me if I'm wrong on that one) How about the Dana 60 front axle? Probably the most prized 4x4 part a chevy owner could have. Who is it made by? Not GM, Dana corp.

To me the argument that new American made trucks are junk because they are made with parts from other companies is kind of silly. Even my K5 is not all made by GM.

Why heated/cooled leather seats? Because I don't know about the next guy but I like sitting my skinny ass on a nice cool soft leather seat inside an A/C'd truck when it's 100 degrees outside. Or a warm seat on a cold winter night. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I like the Cummins just as much as the next guy, GREAT motors that last forever and can have a stout bottom end. They are the only motors out of the Cummins/izuzumax/PS that can handle crazy amounts or fuel, propane, and nitrous at the same time and not blow up. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am a little wierry about the Dmax also only because it's made by a FOREIGN company but I am impressed with it's acceleration, it will stomp a cummins Dodge in the 1/4 mile.(stock of course)
    I have said this before and I will say it again...I just wish GM would use a Dana 60 in the front like the other 2 companies and a Cat C7/Allison combo in it instead of the Dmax. I would put one of those bad boys on order tommorrow! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldnt buy a new gas domestic pickup if you paid me to.

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn't either, gas is too expensive and they don't make near as much power as the new diesels and get terrible mpg vs. the diesels.
    [ QUOTE ]
    They want you to come back and buy another car in 50K miles when yours starts having problems.

[/ QUOTE ] This one I don't get. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My dad's 98' Burb has 121K on it and the 4L60 still shifts almost as firm as my newish hi performance th700. My buddies 95' 1 ton chevy dually has 141K on the 454 and it doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil.

You seem to be a cummins/dodge fan....they are claiming 350K between overhauls on the new ISB cummins, I'm impressed with that.

Think 50 years ago, Ny Grandpa talks about getting 80K on a motor if you were lucky back then. These days if a well taken care of say GM350 V8 gets 150K out of it no one is impressed.

Not trying to start a fight but just pointing out some things, I would love to hear some of these "problems" with newer HD trucks.

20. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The D-max's/allison combo's are the [darn], They ride sooo much better than a Ford or a Dodge, not to mention they track better and have a damn good automatic and manual tranny in them. Also, why does it matter if the tow rig has a 60 in it? Its never gonna see any hard core wheelin so what does it matter? I would much rather have a tow rig that drives really nice than one with a bulletproof front axle. O yeah I dont know why you guys bag on Isuzu, They have been making diesel's for a long damn time and they power a lot of trucks over seas with very little, if any problems. The only weakness i have seen on the d-max as working as an apprentice in the Chevy dealer is the stupid Bosch fuel system on the old version of the d-max, the new version has been out for a few months so far, and we havent had one in the shop yet for anything. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Oh and the whole piston slap thing, people need to get over it. Almost all of the older SBC and BBC did it to some extent, hell most of them run for YEARS in our trucks without a problem. I doubt the piston slap thing is causing any adverse effects on your engines. I bet if the vehicles hadnt become so "refined" no one would bat an eye lash at piston slap. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif