Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This why you don't run a D44 with a Detroit and 36's, carnage pics inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

This why you don\'t run a D44 with a Detroit and 36\'s, carnage pics inside

Well, had some friends in town, so we all load up in the blazer to do some lite wheeling, head to vacant acreage acros the street from my house. The road running in is pretty rough with some preety deep ruts, so for fun I drop the driverside tires into the rut and start up the hill. I get to the top of the rut and the is a little rock ledge that the runoff has exposed, I bump the front tire against it gas it a little to bump it over and the tires breaks loose, a little dirt over the hood and a boom in the front axle. I start trying to back out of the rut to look under the front end and I hear is the axle clunking arund in the knuckle. The U-joint blew two cross shafts off, tore the ear off the stub shaft, tweaked the other ans the ears on the inner shaft. I now have D60 on the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Re: This why you don\'t run a D44 with a Detroit and 36\'s, carnage pics insi

Time to upgrade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Re: This why you don\'t run a D44 with a Detroit and 36\'s, carnage pics inside

Ouch!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

-Day-nauh-six-tiey-

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn...congrats. My two breakages were almost exactly the same this year.

It sucks to hear that pop every time you have the wheel turned and hit it at all. It gets OLD!!

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

2" 50 spline rockwells? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Did you expect any less?
    That is the reason mine is still open up front.
    How old was the u-joint in there?

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

nah, 406 Unimog axles /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    nah, 406 Unimog axles /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pbbbbbllllllppppppptttt!!! Rockwell 5 ton! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Rockwells!!!!We know where we can get some cheap, huh? Knowing Krennan's luck, he'll find a dana 44 advertised for $200, and it'll turn out to be a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

John

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: This why you don\'t run a D44 with a Detroit and 36\'s, carnage pics insi

Look close, that shaft almost took out the lower ball joint stud. The easiest way to avoid that is to find a mismarked kinkpin dana 44 (marked as a dana 60 to confuse the less able).

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Sorry to see that breakage, might you try using a stronger U-Joint, like the Dana(Spicer) 5-297x or the newer replace
    ment(5-560x).

200x3x2.6x4.1=6396lbs./ft.
    half to the front, half to the rear
    must have been one heck of a shock load !

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nah, Mogs break too easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Okiemuddog

[ QUOTE ]
    Knowing Krennan's luck, he'll find a dana 44 advertised for $200, and it'll turn out to be a 60

[/ QUOTE ] Nope, did not get one for $200, had to pay $630+shipping from New Jersey /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for a DRW D60 and going to need a rebuild/calipers but already has 4.56's.

Krennen

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OUCH /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Who here has used full circle c-clips on there 1/2 ton shafts ? I just ground down all my shafts and my spares to take a full clip external snap ring. The caps walking out can cause the most damage, the fastest. If you can keep the ujoints in place, they are much more likely to hold together ! Use 1.25 inch snap rings.
    How old was that rusty joint anyway ?
    Blake

17. Okiemuddog

The joint was about a year and a half old, looks like hell I know. My driveway turns into a mud pit everytime it rains just a little bit, so suspension is terminally rusty. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Nah, Mogs break too easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm 38 year old truck tthat has run 38's all it's life and been pounded on by litterally hundreds of enlistend men all over europe and carried god knows how many more tons then it was rated how many times then made into a rock crawler after 35 years in the service. ....yeah they break a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

CTM's and Warns if your going stick with skinny sticks and not going any bigger then the m 36's. Sofar I have not managed bust mine with 35's an a lunch box locker.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Who here has used full circle c-clips on there 1/2 ton shafts ? I just ground down all my shafts and my spares to take a full clip external snap ring. The caps walking out can cause the most damage, the fastest. If you can keep the ujoints in place, they are much more likely to hold together ! Use 1.25 inch snap rings.
    How old was that rusty joint anyway ?
    Blake

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but when you snap the cross in half, retention most likely wasn't the problem. You can weld your caps in if you want, the honest to God reality is that we're just beyond the design limitations of a stock U joint, and they break.

20. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Actually, this should maybe be reworded as:
    "This is why you dont put too much power down when the tires are hard up against something immoveable and trying to turn with a D44 with a Detroit and 36s"? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    We have all been there... but as long as you learn from the carnage, you can still run D44s without excessive breakages. I broke one front u-joint in my D44, with my 4:56s, right after I put in the Trutrac, it of course took out the axle ears same as yours. I was jammed hard against the side of a rut as deep as my tire, trying to turn a bit to climb the edge, and slowly but steadily putting more and more power to it. She let go (not suprisingly!) but I learned what not to do, and havent broken one since... not saying I wont, but havent since hehe. Good luck with the one ton stuff, but for the newbies: you dont need to run out and buy D60s... you can wheel with 44s! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike