Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This WILL challenge you!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by high&liftedup, Nov 21, 2001.

1. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Ok....This is for all you ignition geneius' out there: I have a rebuilt 350c (100k miles) i w/MSD offroad, Accel dist., Edelbrock carb. I installed the MSD ~ 10 months ago and ran great till bout 2 months ago. Problem: After running the truck for a while, engine dies and will restart after ~10 min. I can run the truck for a day, then the same issue occurs. After consulting with MSD and even sending the box back to Texas, they tested it and it was fine. I rewired all hookups. Replaced: CAP, ROTOR, PLUGS, WIRED, COIL (all MSD), and problem still exist. I thought it was 'secondary' high voltage cross talk, but ????. I did notice that the timing 'creeps' upward from ~6deg to 10-12 deg at idle. When the truck dies then starts up again, the motor cranks slowly as though the timing is very advanced. Is 'cam walk' a issue here?? Im ready to replace the Accel dist. with MSD HEI pro billet..... Does anyone have any other ideas?? ...
    frustrated BUT not giving up!!!

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

is your dist clamp tight and not binding up somewhere else before getting tight ?

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

3. high&liftedup

Yes.. One of the first things I checked and it was ok.....

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Set by getting rid of the accel crap and put the MSD one in. Also dont use a crome dist hold down clamp because they dont like to stay in place.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Is there by any chance a way that your vacuum advance could be stuck? I don't know if that's possible, but maybe the issue could lie there........

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. high&liftedup

Yea, your right...I pick up a MSD friday.The MSD dist. is big bucks (~300.00) and I have the stock clamp... as far as the vacuum advance, I havent check in this area but worth a try..... Thanks..anything else will help...........

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Get rid of the crappy dist. I had one that would start when it wanted to. When it got hot you could turn it over and no spark. Let it cool down and it would fire right up. Sent it back to accel and ran my old dist. had no problem. Got the accel back same crap. Finally went to a MSD

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Only 2 things in a stock set up that will cause that. Vac advance problems or hanging mechanical advance. Put the rotor when it's cold and flip the weights and see if it comes back quick.
    What sometimes happens is oil cockes in the shaft. Pull the distributor out. On the drive gear is a roll pin. Mark the the gear to the shaft. Drive that pin out. The gear can be removed. Take the springs and the weights off the top and the inner shaft will be able to come out. Clean all that crud off you will find. lightly grease it with som high temp grease. put it back together.
    Now another thing to check is slack in the timming chain. It will cause eratic timming also. Pull the cap. turn the engine to TDC. turn the engine backwards whil watching that distributor. When the rotor starts to trun stop. look at your timming tab and see how many degrees the cran turned before the distributor did. more than 4-5 degrees is excessive.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. high&liftedup

Got it ....Is the accel distributor worth doing this... or go with MSD????.. as far as timing chain, Is this a easy 'wrench" to do????.....Thanks...

10. Speed-demon

Speed-demon Registered Member

Have you tried boosting it when this happens? It's sounds like a altenator problem I had once. your sillonoid in the altenator is on the way out. But the good news is obviously you have a farely new battrey and a good starter. When the sillonoid starts to go, it will start by not charging at low rpm, so when your not driveing it or ideling it at a set of lights, thats when it is going to catch you. Think about it ..... It all started whith the MSD?.... it's all bin tested........ALTENATOR!
    Let me now how your msd works I'm throwing some on my truck this spring

11. high&liftedup

Bro. I wish it were that simple, I put a new Magnum 80amp alternator and brand new battery.... and the problem still exist........keep the ideas coming......Thanks....

12. Speed-demon

Speed-demon Registered Member

So when it dies what exactly is happening when you go to start it up?..........If it's dying when idleing I can't see it being the vacume advance.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

replace Accell dis.

If I remeber right, those things run a photo cell instead of magnetic pick-ups. The BIG-THREE (g.m, ford, chrys. and the others) have always run magnetic pick-ups -as far as I know-. Take a hint fro the wize. Run magnetic.

Floating timeing and a dead-stalling when hot are also indications of ignition problems (two-strikes)

You all ready "checked" the box, and replaced the coil and the problem still persists. (strike-three)

That would indicate -possible- problems with the signal to the coil, from the distributer or a coil problem. (your outa-there)

Just my opinion, take it for what it worth, I'm not an expert, and have limited expiriance with Excell

<font color=blue>Twiz

14. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I would agree and say sticky dist. advance wheights. Clear it and see.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

15. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I don't know what you have for an ignition module, but in stock setups these things can be heat sensitive. When they heat up they can stop working, cool down and they are fine. I try to swap it out if possible. Also the timing chain, keep in mid to change this correctly you are supposed to pull the oil pan off too in order to seal the timing cover properly. I have try to skip this step a few times and never had much luck.
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

16. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

IGNITION MODULE OR PICKUP.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

17. high&liftedup

When it decides to 'fire', the engine cranks slowly as though the timing is advanced...and yes, it does die at idle, so that eliminates vacuum advance....
    also, I didnt know bout the photo cell vs the magnetic pickup...thanks for that info.... OTHER than replacing the entire motor,(cause every ignition part is NEW except the dist.) I believe the problem is the ACCEl dist....this dist. is ~320.00 at summit....any donations would be greatly apprciated!!!...

18. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

what about this....you wouldn't happen to be running a rubber gas line to the carb? On my 82 until i converted back to steel it would experience drylock -- the gas would evaporate before it got to the carb. Had very similar symptoms and like you i about changed everything under the sun looking for that problem...Just another idea non-ignition related

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not stick a factory HEI in there and try it out? You can find boneyard HEI's all day long for less then $40 and it will either confirm or deny the distributor being the problem without spending $320...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Now there's a good idea.

<font color=blue>Twiz