Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This with Hydro Steering...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Are you happy with it? Would you go back to linkage steering? Have you had any issues with the engine dieing and no steering? If so, were you able to turn the wheels by hand with the ram in place?

That is my biggest fear, can I keep the engine running well enough to not have that issue?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am going full hydro no matter what, whether I go full tube chassis or use a TJ as a base. I wonder how many horse you would need to spin the pump, maybe hook up a dc motor as a backup so you can still steer.:D Or maybe use your winch to pull the wheel to one side or the other.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you could always disconect the ram and turn the tires by hand... a PITA im sure, but its doable.
    Grant

4. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I'm happy with mine. I can steer with the engine dead. It's not easy, but better than trying to turn the tires by hand. I have a full size Chevy steering wheel, so the diameter helps.

The only thing I don't like about it is when certain events have rules against full hydro.

5. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

is it just me or when i have to turn the steering wheel really hard i break rag joints? maybe im just too buff :doah:

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is why one need one of these.
    [​IMG]
    I got it from a late 80s XJ in the junkyard, walla no more rag joint.:D No cutting required both ends bolt right up.

Ira

7. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I drive Hyster @ work all the time, and all of ours are POS! And I can turn any of them with the engine off. It's just like manual steering, hard to turn if your'e not moving, but eazy if U are. They are all full hydro with dbbl. ended rams. U can use a good saginaw PS pump to run full hydro, I know because we have done it befor with Hysters that the pump has gone out on. (they use 1 pump for all the hyd. on the whole thing) It worked fine for just the steering, but I DON'T recomend trying to run the forks @ the same time:haha:

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I was thinking about a DC backup pump. I think I will do it and if I find the steering to be an issue, install a DC pump.

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have full hydro. Yes you can turn the wheels if the engine does die. It does take a little effort to turn them but it does turn.

I like how I can turn my 39.5 Swampers with 5psi by using my pinky finger.

My K5 is a trailer queen but if I do have to drive it on the street to me it sucks. My tires follow the groves in the road real bad so I steer left or right to compinsate(sp) next thing I know I have over compinsated.

I hear people drive there rig on the street with full hydro ether there ram is a lot faster than mine or they have just got use to how it handles.

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I love full-hydro. It is by far the coolest thing I ever did to my rig. The only thing that took some getting use to, is not being able to "feel" your way around the trail through the steering wheel. The steering has sooo much power and the feedback is minimal in comparison. Precision driving took some practive afterwards :D

You've already learned that you can still steer without it running. However, if your truck runs so badly that you're worried about it, you should be putting the money in to the motor, not steering :doah: