Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THm 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lukerz, Jul 3, 2001.

1. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if you can run a lock-up torque converter in a tranny without the fifth ball. I can't tell by the picture in the haynes rebuild book exactly where the ball goes.

I want to leave it out. It says that you should ONLY install this check ball when running a lock-up torque converter.

What are the benifits of lock-up and non-lock-up??

If I leave the ball OUT and install a lock-up converter will it hurt anything??

How can I tell if my converter is a lock-up or non lock-up??

Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well a lock up converter does get you better economy but if you got the wrong gears it may bust it. Yes you can run a lock up converter.
    Most TH350s were not lock up. The lock up feature didn't show till late 80. Thats a TH350c version. The TH350's went away in 82. Now there is such a thing as a TH250. It's a light duty TH350 with less clutch packs and did run a good way through the 80's in mid size 6cyl cars. Lots of parts are interchangable with a 350. I'm running a TH250 pump and froward drive drum in my TH350. That pump will handle the lock up converter but I run a stock converter on it with no ill effects. The foward drum is the same but the pistion is different to handle less clutches. I just put the piston from my destroyed foward drum in it to get the extra clutches back.
    The fact that you can't figure out where the ball goes leads me to believe you don't have the tranny with the lock up feature. The valve body was different for the lock up version to include a place for that ball. Leave it out and you will be fine.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

3. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

OK here is the deal:
    This tranny came out of an 83 2wd. I swapped out the output shaft to 4wd. I changed the clutch plates and the front seal. New gaskets and filter. I did not know what the hell I was doing.Still don't. I left out the fifth ball. I started with five so I am sure it goes somewhere. Now it's going in the trash.
    Is there a way to test this out? I turned the shaft and it turns but it is hard. I have to grab it from both ends and it only turns in one direction. Is this correct operation? The one big question I have is about the band. What the hell does this thing do? It just seem sto hang in there. I can see its path for moving but what moves it? Alot of questions sorry. But anything will help.

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you did all that and you don't know what the hell you're doing you've got more guts than me.

My friends all cut the tailshafts with a sawzall so they don't have to swap them.

If you have a TH 350C, as stated above, yours is a lockup model, otherwise, you'll have a TH 350.

TH 350Cs started in '82, so I think you've probably got one.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles