Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thnking about picking this bad boy up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Aug 23, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn that thing is Sweet!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i seconed that /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

looks pretty damn clean! go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot. If I do buy it though, I think I'll downgrade to some 38's and a bit wider rim. I wonder what I could get for the 40's and 17's? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, I used to work in Fresno if that counts.....................

Where's the pics of this desert racer thing you speak of??????????????

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

It's nothing much to look at now but hopefully by next month it will be going to the shop to get a coilovered radius arm suspension and cage done by these guys www.blitzkriegoffroad.com and a 9" rear from somewhere like tube-works/currie etc.

It's not going to be an all out race truck, more of a purpose built prerunner. I had planned on it being a daily driver but if I tow it I can be more liberal with my engine/tranny/gear/shock/tire etc choices.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    It's nothing much to look at now but hopefully by next month it will be going to the shop to get a coilovered radius arm suspension and cage done by these guys www.blitzkriegoffroad.com and a 9" rear from somewhere like tube-works/currie etc.

It's not going to be an all out race truck, more of a purpose built prerunner. I had planned on it being a daily driver but if I tow it I can be more liberal with my engine/tranny/gear/shock/tire etc choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm currently waiting to see if I'm approved for another a** raping of the American taxpayer to start mine. I've got a 9" sitting out in the garage, had started the prep work on it right before I left Cali and got a fixed yoke 208 as a starting point. Got some other odds and ends also..............

Depending on how wisely I spend the $$$$ is how crazy I go. Wish list is Deavers and King Bypasses, but I may skip one or the other. I'm also in the mood for a 454 TBI since I don't have to worry about smog either. I'll just have to wait and see.

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my funding is coming from the real estate market /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Nothing like over 100K in equity in a year. We're taking some out to pay bills and the boss approved some extra for my project.

When I was going to keep it as a daily driver my plan was LQ4 6.0 stroked to 408ci's backed by a 4L80E and my 205. I was going to go coilovers in the front and deavers and bypasses in the back. I still may go this route but I'm leaning towards towing it.

If I go the tow route I'll most likely pump up the small block in there and go the th400/205 route and go links and coils in the rear.

You don't think the big block will be to heavy for the high speed stuff?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't think the big block will be to heavy for the high speed stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, as long as the suspension is setup right. There's plenty a race truck out there that run big blocks, my personal experience was the Class 8 truck with the 460 Ford under the hood. In reality, I don't see the need for a big block under the hood of anything less than a Class 8 truck, I just want to do it because I can. A well-built small block is probably just perfect for our type of trucks.

11. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I briefly considered a 502 Ramjet but the weight and the not so good things I hear about the injection system shot the idea down. Not to mention for a bit more than the 502 I can get the 408 which will put out just as much if not more power than the 502 and be a little more efficient and just plain cool to boot.

12. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

That is a nice Truck, but not what I would call a Daily Driver or a Tow Vehicle. SWB, lift and tire size would make for a crazy ride dropping down in to the Desert on Hwy 8 with a strong cross wind. Having towed a lot of race vehicles out to the desert and Mexico, SIZE MATTERS, and I don’t mean 40” tires. By the way, keep your Prerunner Street legal and drivable. You’ll enjoy it and use it much more. PM to follow.