Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thorley Headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Apr 23, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone tried Thorley's Tri-Y headers? And do chrome plated headers hold up as well as ceramic coated? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My friend had the chrome plated Tri Ys, they discolored and such, but didn't rust. Ceramic would keep underhood cooler, probably not discolor the same and last longer.

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

the guys at fullsizechevy.com swear by doug throley for the newer trucks. mainly the vortecs. it's nice that they come with the Y-pipe. i have dynomax ceramic coated headers on my tbi 350, and i love them.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I bought a set for my '56. They fit well but I won't have the engine running until next week to try them out. They are big $$$ but look well made.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what about the header coming incontact with the front shackle on the rear of the front spring pack

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Mine clears by 3/4". The frame and drivetrain is an 80 3/4 ton with a 4" lift.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they are the best headers. They are expensive, but you can feel the performance. Dont waste your money on anything else.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

From my understanding, Thorley TRI-Y's are the best headers you can get for our trucks. But they are alittle spendy.

9. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the chrome ones. They seem to be holding up great even in the salt and everything. Had 'em for almost 10 years. They aren't shiny chrome any more, but not rusted and they aren't coming loose either. Never had to tighten 'em down.

My only complaint is that changing plugs is a pain now for a few cylinders. When they wear out, I'll look at regular manifolds again since I'm not much of a horsepower hound anymore, I just want the motor to run reliably and be easy to work on. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

here are some pics i took for a member a while back showing how close the collecter comes to the shackle but dosent hit...it comes very close but does not hit anything on the truck. super nice headers very thick flanges.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~adamfam/Chevy/Headers/

11. Silver84k5

do they make the header specifically for a truck or a blazer? I know a buddy told me that chevelle headers are suppose to work well, but that was for a different brand of header... Dunno if it would be the same for the Thorleys.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here are some pics of my 10 year old Thorleys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing really wrong with them, but the magazine article that was posted on here not too long ago (from car craft) shows that the Thorley's didn't make as much low end as long tube headers, and IMO, for the price, (and for most trucks) should.

They obviously seem to be a quality product, and that in itself should be considered when buying headers, which are notorious for being annoying in many respects. But of course, if you are sacrificing low end power in a truck that needs it, you've got to decide what makes more sense to you, for your application.

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for the heads-up on that article. I read it and now I'm considering going with the Hedman Elite headers like I did on my Cuda. Good price for a quality set of headers. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I love mine, I got the chrome and they are still good. I went mudding and they stained, but still no rust. I will most likely ceramic coat them next time I remove them. I've had them for 5 years. The only complaint is that the y-pipe hangs down so low. I built a skid plate for it and hit it on everything. I am planning on hacking it up and raising it this next week. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I read that article as well and will never run a set of Tri Ys, they are a nice really good quality header but not for me.

17. dyeager535

I've got the elites on my truck (or for my truck, install, remove, repeat, while mocking stuff up) and I like them so far, at least the construction and the way they fit.

A little close to the shackles, but I think this is going to depend on the individual truck, since there are so many variables in where things end up when put together.

I love the "flanges" for the exhaust pipe, they are really nice.

18. Silver84k5

What do you buy those headers for? Chevy light truck 73-91? or..? The only thing im worried about in getting full length headers is the clearance at the shackle.... Guess i could always just buckl up and have them modified to fit.... What about buying them for a chevelle?>

19. dyeager535

Stick with ones made for the trucks. I bought ones for approx. an '86 K5, but I don't see why any for at least the 81-91 trucks wouldn't fit. The only diffences in clearance I can think of in those years is the transmission choice...auto, manual with mech. linkage, or manual with hyde. linkage. Of course engine differences, but SBC is SBC.

The only shackle clearance issue I have is on the passenger side, hitting the bolt. I'm going to wait until I can fire the engine up, get them hot, then bend them so they will "take a seet" a bit further away from the shackle bolt. I bolted them up and bent that side away from the bolt, but there is enough spring to it that it doesn't keep as much clearance as I'd like.

20. Silver84k5

when do you plan on bending them? could ya keep me posted on how it works out?