Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thorley Tri-Y headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Mar 22, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any experience with Doug Thorley's Tri-Y headers? I've heard they are good for low-end torque. Does anyone recommend coating headers? eg. Jet-Hot, CeramiCoat, etc. I'm thinking 3" single exh. with a Random Tech. hi-flo cat and Flowmaster 70-series muffler. Thanks for the help.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hope you're a rich man if you plan on Jet-Hot coated Thorleys! That's what I originally wanted but here's the lowdown cost-wise. The cheapest price I found for the Thorleys is $399 and I emailed JetHot and was told they charge $279 to coat them; $16 to ship them and since the Thorleys come chromed; an additional $40 to strip them before coating. Total to you - $734!!! Yes, tri-y headers are supposed to be best for low end torque so the Thorley's may be good but that's awfully expensive! I'm now looking at the Flow Tech Afterburners having spoken with Blazer79 and others on this board. They advertise "the torque of tri-y's and power of open headers" or something like that. ANyway, you can get them ceramic coated for around $250. Much better deal to me.

Good Luck
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey can anyone confirm that the AfterBurner will NOT work on a K5 with a 4-speed??? The guy at Flow tech said they are not ment to work with a 4-speed but may with some modifying.?????
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I have a set on my 86 Suburban. They are the highest quality header I have ever seen. Thick wall tubing, 3/8" thick flange and the chrome is still awesome looking after 30,000 miles. Also the tri-y design keeps the tubes away from the starter. Why would you take their chrome off and put Jet Hot coating on them?
    CB