Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thorleys installed, have exhaust leak cant seem to find...help????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Sep 14, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

The headers went on pretty easy and I got everyhting bolted up nice, but I seem to have an exhaust leak that is driving me up the wall...all my torques seem good...anyone else have this problem with the triy's w/ypipe? Any suggestions?..tips on how to find? I am thinking it could be the slip fitting between the two ypipe pieces (no clamp given and thorley said it is meant to be that way)...it doesnt seem like it though. Please help. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Header Hush

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

? What is header hush? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Header Hush are clamps that go on the collectors. The put equeal force on it all the way around. The elimanate 99% of collector gasket failure, or so they claim. Not sure where too get them though.

5. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know how to get or where to find them? Any pics?...maybe I can fab some.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Feel around all the joints where the pipes come together and see if you can feel air coming out, if so there is your exhaust leak. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Slightly off topic, I bought a used set of Thorleys and they have a flange welded to them at the collector. Do yours have a flange or a slip connection to the pipes?

8. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

They have a flange at the collector of each header and at the end of the ypipe. The ypipe however is two pieces and they slip together in the middle just under the tranny pan. I havent tried the "feel for air" yet...but hey I've done almost everything else, worth a shot.

9. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I put one of those stainless steel exhaust band clamps around that joint...have never had a leak there...You can get them from Napa or Summit...I believe...360 degree seal.

10. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

11. wkasak

Those are the ones...they come in many sizes...I don't exactly remember what the cross-over pipe is...I think 2 1/2"...double check and get the correct clamp. My local NAPA has them in stock. I think they run about $10 if I recall correctly.

No need to remove the pipes...it will go around like a braclet and attach with the provided bolts...it provides a nice seal and since they are stainless they will not rust. I put the bolts facing up, so that they don't catch on anything.

As you might tell from my sig...I'm not a heavy wheeler...other than romping in the snow, and some light off-road stuff. But, I never had a problem with clearance when I was more into heavier wheeling, which still isn't that heavy in these parts of Maryland...

I originally ordered the cross-over pipe for a lifted Blazer...you think the one I have now hangs down...the other one could have been a jump rope... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm not sure it could be any closer to the front drive shaft than it already is...without problems...

I don't really have any pics but it would only take a few minutes to snap a few if you are really interested...not much special to see...looks just like to first link you provided...

Oh...and as a side note...throw away those POS collector flange gaskets. They will burn out every 3-4 months or so creating more exhaust leaks to drive you nuts. I finally found the aluminum gaskets, and they work perfect.

12. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Did you replace all the gaskets or just he main 3" one? I found the 3" alum one but cant seem to find the 2.5" I will look around more. Thanks for the info. So you have the stock hieght ypipe...any chance you can take a pic of the clearance between that and the shaft? I got the lifted one and I feel like I am gonna hit it on speed bumps /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif...wonder if thorley will just send me the stock height one if I bitch enough /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. wkasak

I sent you some quick snapshots that I just took via email...and I explained the incorrect order with Thorley and they sent me out replacements without a problem. I'm not sure the one I have will work for you though...My truck only has a 2 1/2" lift. I think the front driveshaft will hit. Are yours chrome plated...if not I am sure you could have it modified by a good muffler shop to tuck up closer...

I replaced all of my gaskets with the solid aluminum reusable crush type...the two at the connection to the headers, and the one 3" at the end of the crossover pipe. Flowtech makes them in 2.5" and 3"...
    http://www.lonestarracing.com/cgi-bin/lonestar/FLT-10024FLT.html?id=dWJqXXBU
    http://www.lonestarracing.com/cgi-bin/lonestar/FLT-10025FLT.html?id=dWJqXXBU

I looked at your hosted pictures...love the rims...what size are they?

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've got those same headers, installed them about 3 months ago. does your sound good at idle, but sounds like a leak under load? if so, i've got the same problem. thought it was the slip fit so i had the muffler shop weld it solid, didnt change it a bit. dont bother getting a clamp.

i've been told they'll have a slight leaking sound just because the metal is thinner than a cast manifold so it doesnt suppress the sound as good.

im going to try intalling new gaskets all around and use this stuff edelbrock makes. its like header gasket glue. we used it on other thorley installs and its what the local speed shop recommends. couldnt tell it it made a difference causs the trucks we put them on had racing mufflers so a little leaking sound couldnt be heard.

i asked the muffler shop about copper or aluminum gaskets and he said he doesnt really like them, you have to have the flanges dead on level w/ each other or they will leak.they are only good if you take your exhaust off and on alot.
    oh ya and i got mine with the dropped y-pipe.mine has 3" of lift and there looks to be plenty of driveshaft clearance. much better than stock.but i do think it hangs too low, im hoping that the transfer case skidplate will take the majority of the load . havent hit anything yet.

good luck and if you solve it let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Bitchin thanks for the links. I will get those when the current ones blow out. Thanks for the pics, still looks like a 4" lift would clear the shaft, but it would be close. I think I will stick with the lifted setup for now until I hit it on a rock /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I got the setup ceramic coated so no can do on mods, thought about it though. oh... the rims are 16x10 ProComp Extreme2's. I really dig 'em...but the SSR's are where its at /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I hooked up the clamp on the slip fitting, but havent driven it to see if it worked. I dont feel the air rushing out anymore though so that is good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I hear a ticking now for some reason. I am not sure if I need to adjust my valves or if its the exhuast I have checked all bolts and all is good. I will update tomorrow after I drive it to work and see how it does.

16. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Update... the main whooshing sound is gone because of the clamp on the slip fitting, but now I have a ticking sound at idle and driving /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif need to check to see if it is a leak or a valve on the drvr side...last I checked all the bolts were tight so I hope its not a bad gasket.