Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thornbird, anyone have any suggestions on grooving them.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, May 9, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to buy a set of thornbirds, yes I know they suck and if you feel it necessary to remind me you will be flamed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Back to the subject, Does anyone have any suggestion on grooving them or has anyone grooved them to make the more capable? I have a friend of a friend that has a groover and I was looking at the tread and thought maybe if I was to open up the pattern some that they would perform better. I know they have deep tread so depth is not an issue, I thought of spliitng the larger treads in half to give some more bite and taking some off the edge of the tread edges to open up the grooves to make them clean out better. Thanks for the info in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, since you "know they suck" what is your reasoning to buy them? or what will you be using them for that they are the tire you believe will work best? lastly, the best thing to do is post a pic of the tread so we can have a look. there are 4 people in the world running them, so alot of us don't know exactly what the treads even look like, thus no idea where to begin on the suggestions to help groove them.

that is all.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Here you go. Pics of the suckbirds tread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here you go. Pics of the suckbirds tread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my...where to begin... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have had 2 sets of Thornbirds and didn't think they were bad at all. They were great in deep snow if you aired them down, great in ruts because the side lugs would pull you up and out, and not bad on the highway (both times I had them they were on my daily driver) and lasted forever...!
    For the type of wheelin' I do now I wouldn't get them again...but your thought of grooving them may be the ticket. I would just open the tread up quite a bit in the middle so that they can get rid of mud a little better.
    A big ticket to wheelin' w/ Thornbirds is AIR DOWN!!!!

6. Okiemuddog

[ QUOTE ]
    well, since you "know they suck" what is your reasoning to buy them? or what will you be using them for that they are the tire you believe will work best?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If am getting a set for CHEAP!!!!!! and I have to get my rig drivable and they are damn sure better than the POS,bald, no air holding tires I have now.
    2.Mostly on the road, but some mud and snow

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

THose crappy little lugs don't lend themselves to grooving. maybe not do that cut.

[​IMG]

8. Okiemuddog

Cegusman,
    Thank you for the pic, I jsut changed internet providers so I lost my FTP hosting so I can't post pics till I pick up a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Poohbair,
    Thanks for the info, I will remember to make sure to air them down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Okiemuddog

Zakk,
    Tahnks for the info, that is kind of the pattern I was thinking of doing to the bigger lugs. I will let everyone know if this helps them out any or if they still suck.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Thorntuds do suck in stock form, but they also have very little tread void, so with some creative grooving you could end up with a real good tire. Ya gotta love the tread on the sidewalls of the Turds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good luck!

Here's something I did real quick, mainly aimed at giving the tire more void and more edges to grab ahold of stuff for traction. I did another much more aggressive version, but I'm not sure how aggressive you want to get.

[​IMG] </font>

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Krennen, when do you think you'll have those tires? I have started gathering hands for next weeks "fix the stuff wrong w/ my truck" session, and that would be good a time as any to get the groover.

John

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn Evan...that turd looks like it would work real well grooved like that./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Almost makes me want a set to try that out./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

13. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I know a guy running turds and he said that he liked them because the side lugs were stiffer than his boggers and would grab the sides of holes better.

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

There was a post on this on POR recently. Do a search there and you'll find it. They had some good ideas and they looked 10 times better than the stock tread. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif