Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thornbird tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5wantabe, Oct 6, 2001.

1. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

Looking to get some new tires for my new (to me) 88 jimmy. Have been debating between the new procomp all terrains or the thornbirds. Read some articles on the procomps but haven't seen much on the thornbirds. Any body have them? How do you like them. Most of my time is spent on the road towing a travel trailer. Some off road for hunting. Thanks.

'88 Jimmy 350/700r4 3.73's 32in Maypops

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Thornbird tires wear quickly and unevenly, are really noisy and suck offroading. A buddy put them on his dads blazer because he thought they look cool. He cant wait until they wear out so he can buy a good set of all terrains.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. DesertDueler

Thornbird tires wear quickly and unevenly, are really noisy and suck offroading. A buddy put them on his dads blazer because he thought they look cool. He cant wait until they wear out so he can buy a good set of all terrains.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. DesertDueler

Thornbird tires wear quickly and unevenly, are really noisy and suck offroading. A buddy put them on his dads blazer because he thought they look cool. He cant wait until they wear out so he can buy a good set of all terrains. BTW goodyear makes a great set of all terrains, They are the GSAs

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

www.4wpw.com has a special on the pro comps buy 3 get one free!!!! They make a nice 35" tire!!!

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thornbirds = STUCKBIRDS....well thats what we call them here in south louisiana, actually hardly anyone here even buys them anymore cuz they suck so bad...The side tread is good for prexisting ruts to get side grip but overall they dont do well in the mud

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thornbird tires suck my balls, for a lack of a better way of putting it. They're absolutely worthless in mud, don't have enough void ratio really for any off-road use, ride crappy, (like many bias tires) and are extremely noisy.

All Terrains suck just as bad in mud, but they're smooth and quiet on the road and OUTSTANDING in shallow snow.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 10/07/01 07:24 PM.</FONT></P>

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Procomp AT's and Thonbirds are completely different kinds of tires. You probably should do a little more homework before you buy. I am not trying to be rude, I am just trying to help you spend your money on something you will like.

Look at some other tires that are similar to the Procomps and narrow it down from there.

I cannot recommend Thornbirds to anyone. They do not excel at any task, and I personally think they are ugly to boot. However some people do like the looks. That is about all they have going for them.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

9. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    turdbirds

would you mind un-wedging your fullsize from between those trees? your blocking the trail.

10. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Thornbirds are undoubtly the WORST tire on the planet, they load up, and will not clean themselves, they blow chunks on the rocks......but for the average yo-yo who has a 6" lifted truck with shiny paint and the only time he goes off-roading is when he runs over a curb they'll do fine. The Pro-comp Mt's will outperform the Thornbirds everywhere, I'm currently running Pro-comp Mt's and they're great, I've not experienced any troubles getting them to clean, and they've worked great on what rocks I can find....and besides they're fairly cheap!

Still a very pissed-off
    White Knight

11. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I was going to put Thornbirds on my Blazer but with all of the negatives I'm not going to now. Thanks

12. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

"thunder chickens"...

[​IMG]Mash Out![​IMG]
    82 Blazer 1 Ton "Big Nasty"
    78 Jimmy 3/4 Ton
    <font color=red>"Red Dawg" </font color=red>