Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thornbird vs SSR

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lpasotx, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Lpasotx

Lpasotx Registered Member

i have a question i wanna buy super swampers but i also drive on the road every day to work and back so my question is what super swamper will last me the longest the SSR, Thornbird, TSL, or what but i need super swamper i my self am leanning towards the thornbird so please some one help

2. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    TSL Radial![​IMG]
    By the way thornbirds SUCK on road and OFF.
    Forget those all together

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I loved my old thornbirds... but they were one heck of a rough ride. However I did get close to 30,000 miles out of them.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

4. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> id definately go with the SSR's cause i had a friend who ran Thornbirds on his J**p, and they lasted about 5 months....

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

also it is kinda felt in the off road world that 90% of people w/ thornbirds are posers anyways!!!
    go for the SSR!!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

6. Lpasotx

thanx guys but does anyone have any idea how many miles you can get out of the SSR's cuz if im gonna spend 1000 bucks on tires i want them to last me a while not just a year

7. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about TSL/SXs? They have tough sidewalls and last a long time (I run these on 1 truck); I really love them. Please lean away from the Thornbirds; look at the void area--you can't move alot of mud with that. Also, I agree with the poser comment (no offense to people who run Thornbirds). TSLs also have a large void area. I also run Boggers, but they aren't lasting as the TSL/SX. Good luck!

8. Lpasotx

yea my friend has tsl-sx and there going fast hes had them on 7 months and he drives his br*nco every day so thats why im not leaning towards those at all but hey they look bad ass

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

i remember in FOUR WHEELER magazine that they got 56,000 miles on TSL radials on a chevy pickup, thats with alot of daily driving also. The article is on the march 2001 issuse titled "Plane Jane." This is all based on my memory, so i might be a little foggy, but the 56k i'm sure of.

10. Lpasotx

thanx man i'll check it out see how much $ cuz SSR's are like 220.00

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've talked to three people with Thornbirds and they all hated them. One guy had a fullsize Bronco and ran 35x14.50's, mostly on the street, and said they were impossible to balance, shook the vehicle, and were hard to control on the road. He kept them a couple of months before complaining to Interco and had them replace them with the SX's. Another guy had a Toyota pickup, mostly on the street also, with the 35's, they also shook the vehicle really bad and wore really uneven. One tire in particular wore really bad and looked as if it had twice as many miles as the other three even though they were all bought at the same time. He kept them for about 6 months before selling them. The third guy had 33x12.50's on a Jeep that saw a lot of off-roading. He took them on one trail ride before selling them because of their poor performance off-road.

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Huh, I talk to a young guy today who's running 35x14.5 Thornbirds on his K5. ('cause I too, have a need -to-know). He liked his. Said they rode pretty tuck like, stiff, noisy, and some vibration. They still wear some, but not as fast as his previous Swampers. He also said they were great in the mud (that's New England mud not Missisippi gumbo). I'm just as confused as you. Tell me what end up with in the end.

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you want an aggressive off road tire but still need your ride as a daily driver, I would think about the TSL radials, I now run the SSR's and they are fricken sweet, but I only have 300 miles on them so I can't tell you how long they will last. Thornbirds are the ONLY Interco tire I do not like.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers