Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thornbirds are Out!!! Need more opinions on Tires!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Why does everyone hate Thornbirds!? I'm going to run them on Hummer rims so running at low psi is not a problem. I'm going with 38.5" tires and really want something wide with good stance!!! This is my weekend off-roader, not my compatition rig! IT's mainly rocks, rivers, and sand with occasional mud!!! SO, Why does everyone say they "SUCK!" Thanks! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: What\'s the Real Deal With Thornbirds!!? Opinions!!!!?

... one can only wonder why you decided to go with the $h*tbirds. Did you have a buddy that liked them or... did ya just wanna be different? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I picked up my 39.5 TSLs today... thornbirds never even entered my mind as an option...

J

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

thornbirds suck...the only good thing they have is side lugs...but if thats such a big deal go with swamper tsl/sx's they have side lugs on em...they dont do crap in mud and they wear way too fast

just dont run em...youll thank us later

Later

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If your asking why, then I asume you have never owned a set or driven a truck with them on. Once you have, you too will say.... These SUCK !!!
    P.S. If you do get them and drive it on a wet or snowy roads please put a video camera on board with you, I'd like to see you facial expresions. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just kidding /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Stuckbirds. No gription, and awful wear characteristics. Buy some SSR's. Or SX's. Like was said, you will thank us later.

6. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Not only do they suck they are ugly nuff said /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

they fall aprt too... faster than they go down the road... the lugs break off if they get too hot from neing outta balance...

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I wonder how they would work if the long center tread lugs were siped. It would be too expensive to experiment with, but maybe if someone who had already made the mistake of buying these could try and report?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that they would have to be more than siped, they would have to seriously grooved to be worth a damn. They're a waste of good rubber the way they are now. </font color>

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks all,

Sounds like I'm going with SXs! I haven't bought them yet, but the rims are almost finished and need to get some new tires! How do the SXs handle on the road? This is also my wife's daily driver, so I would hate to see it slide sideways! Like I said before, this is the weekend Slab truck as well as camping vehicle, but she drives it too School everyday!! It's really her truck!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif You should see her Face! Anyways, what tires do you suggest then and would SXs be too soft, or are they good on the road! Thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

As i'am sure its been said before SX's are great.. my dads runs them on his dodge 1ton pickup, there 38.5. the truck rides square for only a mile or so and its nowhere as bad as my hummer goodyears.. i'am going to bye a set, i only wish they came just a little bigger than 38.5.. the radial ply also helps with wear and the square tire issue. THERE GREAT BUY THEM!!!!!

12. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

the 38.5x14.5s are awesome tires...not too wide so they wont eat fender but not too narrow so you have a good footprint...

they handle well on the road...and dont wear that bad either, as long as you keep the air pressure in em regulated

Later

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I don't have any complaints about wandering or noise, but they ride frikkin ROUGH. Those tough sidewalls don't flex all that much (good for strength, bad for highway). If you/your wife can tolerate a rough ride, go with the SX's. If you want something that is still good off road, good on wet pavement, and queit/good riding, hook up with some SSR's. Been sellin a ton of them, and no one has been unhappy with them yet.

14. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Unless your wife REALLY enjoys offroading she will probly not want the SXs on HER truck. Regular TSLs wont last as long but will usually ride better than the SXs because they are made of a softer compound. Consider good old TSLs. Do you have any experience driving a truck with big swampers? If not maybe you should give it a try before you spend that kinda money.

15. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Lets, just say, We both have a little experiance!!! When I get her rig finished, I'll snap a pic and you'll see what she likes to drive!!! EVERYDAY! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. 89chevy

89chevy Registered Member

the main reason they suck is because they are all rubber and cant clear out the mud when you are in a mud hole. you need to have gaps to throw mud for more traction. they turn into mud slicks REAL fast! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif