Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thornbirds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevysrule, Feb 10, 2002.

1. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

I have some questions about interco's thornbirds. I know that they look awesome, but how do they perform on the trail. Also how well do they wear? I want to get the 38.5's if they can perform well. Thanks for your help..

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! [​IMG]

Thornbirds are terrible. They don't wear good (even though they are not aggressive) they ride poorly, are noisy, and don't get traction in mud. Top that off with one of the more expensive price tags as tires go and you have a real recipe for crap. Pass on these.

Get a tire that looks "like it would work" rather than "awesome"

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I belive the general consensus around here and other 4x4 boards is they suck all around, but they look pretty bada$$. this is just 3rd hand info so don't take my work for it.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (soon to be- spooled dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Lasts just as long as a slug in a salt shaker. Mud likes them just as much as AT's. I did like the ride, when they warmed up. And the wet-slush snow stuff was ok. All in all not worth the $$$. Get 37" SSR's instead.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

5. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

How well do the original TSL's wear. Noise isnt much of a factor for me. I just cant be buying tires every 3k. And i want to get something taller than 35". Price is a huge factor since i'm still on a high school budget.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by chevysrule on 02/10/02 01:31 PM.</FONT></P>

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I got almost 38k from the original TSL, that was a mix of on/off road-summer driving-Idiot foot. You really have to rotate your tires every oil change. The compound on TSL tires, in general, arent meant for distance. Figure though, your avg. tire for trucks i.e. BFG is good for 40k too.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

7. Starbreaker666

Starbreaker666 Registered Member

I LOVE THEM!!!!. They do ride rough but i have had NO trouble with them at all. They grip like a freak. I've pulled up some obsticles that made the swampers of the guy behind me spin. They are deffinatly a heavy truck tire. takes soem wieght to get them to form to the rocks. To me they were worth the money and ill probably stick with them. but thats just me.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stuckbirds...you must be the only person to ever have a good thing to say about em.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Interco had to recall thornbirds a while back, I think about a year ago. They were splitting across the section unprovoked.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Jimmy38 on 02/10/02 02:44 PM.</FONT></P>

10. Starbreaker666

Starbreaker666 Registered Member

Heheh. Perhaps your right. Maybe i have the only good set in existance. who knows. They work for me and allow me to enjoy killing my truck on rocks and thats all that counts. Another reason I like 'em is they are the red headed step son of tires. Ugly to all get out for sure. I wanted to stand out. Seems like everyone and there mother has a set of swampers so i went a different route. I applied to be a member here, so when its approved ill put uip pics of them in action hopfully.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have some 31/12.50/15 Thornbirds on me Suzuki, good tires. They came on it when I got it. It might just be the Suzuki, but I have yet to get stuck with them. Those lugs can really help you out. I wouldn't get the 38.5" tires, though. i saw some and the sidewall lugs are far too spread apart. For that large of a tire, go witht he original or Radial TSL

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Welcome! don't forget to fill out your profile.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I, too, think they look cool. And they look like they would do well on rocks (lots of surface area of the tire) if you can get them to conform. However, they don't do well in mud at all. The lugs are too close together. They fill up easily and don't self clean worth a crap.

Haven't used them or seen them used on the rocks, so that is just speculation. They do have good side bite and are great for that type of stuff. But in mud they become more like drag slicks. And that can be a VERY BAD THING around here!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!