Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thornbirds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Apr 5, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

anyone running thorbirds on their truck. i have 31 bfg ats now but want to lift 4" and put on 33 thorbirds. are they noisy? do the have good ice traction? do they have good wet traction?

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

No personal experience with them on my vehicle, but here is what some friends think....
    1. 35x14.50's on a Toyota pickup (mostly on the street), wore really unevenly and fast, very noisy, rough ride, and poor wet pavement traction. He only kept them about 3 months and replaced them with some General radials which made a huge difference.
    2. 33x12.50's on a Jeep (mostly used on the trail), went on a trail ride the first weekend he got them, it did not like them so much that same weekend he took them off and replaced them with Boggers.

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One of my friends with a 79 F-150 with 9 inches and the 35 inch Thornbirds really liked them. They kind of wandered on the street and we never noticed the noise because of his glasspacks. Anyways he's the only person I know of that had good luck with them in the mud. He really liked them and did a lot of mud runs. Also had a really hi-po 351. Maybe that was it. Most everyone else says they're good on sand and maybe snow and thats about it. I wanted Thornbirds too, but now I'm probably going to get the old style radial Swampers.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Had a friend w/31/12.50's on a cherokee. Noisy as hell going down pavement, wear like sh!t, wandered all over the place, but they really tore it up out in the mud! He ended up selling them though.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Well, must be an indication. All the responses so far have all said that the Thornbirds kick a@@, but everyone ended up selling them. I'm about ready to put a 6" lift, possible 3" body too, and I'm going to run 35" Swamper TSL's. Good mudd'n gentlemen

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)