Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those bright blue head lights...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Oct 27, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

does anyone make those bulbs to fit out trucks? particularly an 89 GMC suburban. you guys know what i'm talking about right?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The 89s use the smallish lites, I dont think youll find them. Theyre not a real popular headlite.

Look into installing 90 up composite lites. Ive never looked into it but it MAY work. (w/ some creative fabrication) Then get the super whites or whatever they call them. Maybe too much work to go thru if you really USE your rig just to risk busting them up.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Maybe too much work to go thru if you really USE your rig just to risk busting them up.

[/ QUOTE ] i agree... if i can't find the bulbs, oh well.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I can only think of 3 other vehicles off hand that use those bulbs. Chrysler New Yorkers (the little ones w/ covered lamps), GM vans, and 88-89 GM trucks. Newer Camaros use an even smaller lite bulb.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If your just wanting a white light at night, I took some transparent blue model paint and lighty sprayed my headlights. Made them blue during the day, but at night they seemed much brighter and alot more white because the blue filtered the light. I got tired of the blue look after I painted the truck grey so I bought the cool blue sealed beams for the Quad setup on my blazer (not the same grill as yours).

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have sylvania cool blues, there a seeled white light, and im positive they make it for yours. As for the H4 replacement conversions i doubt youll find them. If you could find them I doubt they would work either. I put them on my 84 and talked to someone who tried it on his 87 pickup (uses same bulbs) and for some reason the four headlight system doesnt work with them. When the lows are on the highs are dim and when the highs are on they are both dim. Those sylvania bulbs work 4 times better than stock, are really bright and spent about $32 for all 4. If you want I can try to get you part numbers tomarrow.

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Quite a while back i thing there was a thread on them and someone had a few for sale. I think I've got a link to a site that sells the small rectangle replacements (at least that fit my 91) and they run H7 bulbs in 'em. I think those are avail with the blue tint. I'll post back if i can find that link this am....
    Found it: Headlight Conversion Check the conversion app chart on the right side.. It shows 4703/4701s with H7 capability. About $50/pair + the bulbs

8. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I just bought a conversion set for my Sub when I rewired my headlight system with relays and heavier gauge wiring direct from the battery. The stock wiring is still intact and backwards compatible. A complete write-up is here. Also, all four come on in "hi" mode instead of the two inner lamps (typical 89-91 arrangement).

Definitely easier to replace the bulb and not the whole assembly. Two minutes vs. twenty...

I am not using the "Cool blue" H7's though...I will let the import wanna-be racers around here run them instead.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I've peeked @ that write-up before and it seems straight forward enough. How would you rate the gain from the relays? the gain from H7 Bulbs? WOrth the $$$ / Time to do it?
    I work a weird 10 hr day schedule, and now we're off DST, will be doing dark in/out of work 4 days a week. My Piaa 520 FOgs are fan-friggin-tastic on those overcast/foggy/ snowy occassions, but always looking for a little more! (also have the 4-light-bright arrangement as well. Just not a fleet of relays/direct power!)

10. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I think it was worth it...both the upgrade and wiring. It only cost me about $115 total ( I have access to wiring and relays from work). Actually, what started out as a conversion "only" project transformed into a rewire because I did not want to hack my OE wiring.

I have noticed a big difference in light output and visibility at night, especially on "hi". However, it is difficult to tell what had the most effect since the project was done in tandem...

I also seem to get "flashed" a little more often...

...I kind of feel sorry for the other driver when I return the signal. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Gee, I ain't beel flashed in quite a while! (either way!)... but sure do like how those PIAA's light the sides, and don't get 'flashed' for those! (yet!).. Don't use the KC's too often on the road.. but sure they'd draw a response! Guess I'll have to look into them a bit harder. Wonder if Santa is listening?

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

those "bright white lights" are HID high intensity discharge. they're about $700 for a set, comes with ballast bulbs switches and lamp assemblies. they dont make tham (too my knowledge) for the chevy quad headlight set up. fog lights are about $550 a set. if your interested ill order them through work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    ryan