Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those crawling with SM465, check in please...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 23, 2005.

?

Do you run a 465 and crawl/trail run?

1. Yes and I love it.

144 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. Yes but if I could do it again I'd go automatic.

23 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Would you recommend it? Do you like it? If so what rear gears are you running? I'm setting it up with 5.13s and probably 38s or 39s. Its the SM465 or a TH350 and I hate automatics. Always have, likely always will. Feel like its just a matter of minutes before it breaks and lets me down.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

gotta love the gear-jammin action of a 465

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have a 465 and 4.56's with 37's. I think it is geared pretty low for the street (it spins 3000 at 72, but I suppose my motor makes a fair amount of power and I really don't need the low gearing anyway). Crawling, it is very good. Better than an auto with the same t-case and you get compression breaking, not to mention how unbreakable the 465 is. If you like manuals, don't look back from the SM465. You won't regret it.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I love my 465, but hate the clutch. If i had better gears (3.73's/35's :doah: now) it probably wouldn't be so bad. My dream setup would be a Th400 with a doubler behind it. Lot's of coin. When I get a 60 I will cough up the coin for some 5.13's.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the gearing if no differant then an auto (1:1) if anything its better, there is no convertor slippage. i love my 465. you dont even need a doubler behind it. i have 4.10's, 36's which stand 34" and it crawls ridicously slow. :D

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

For me, I have 4:56's and 39.5" IROKs with the SM465. On my lone trip to Tellico I had no problems getting up anything. Steve Kibbe was spotting me on the bigger things. I just went over whatever :D
    I had thoughts of doing the doubler one day but not now. I can be perfectly happy with this setup. Not sure if the big block makes it any better. My only forth coming changes are to add a hydraulic clutch and call it good. The mechanical wasn't bad but I could tell my leg wasn't starting to tire a little..No big deal

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 83, not quite a crawler..... :haha: .........but I love it. I have 4.10's and 33's and I can't stop it. I love when my buddy was with me and I idled up a very steep hill, made him sick :D

When I went to tellico with Bryan(big pappa b) I rode with timmay :wink1:
    He runs a 465/205 combo with 4.10's and 38's. It did great. Never missed a lick. He's only running a stock 350 efi.

As long as your low range works, I don't see you ever running out of crawlability with 5.13's :bow:

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

ps. It takes a bit more foot work to crawl with a stick.....like you didn't know that though :laugh:

pss. I don't have a hydrolic clutch, but its on the list :deal:

9. stallion85

That's what I don't like about it...the low gearing is awesome, but in some situations I have to stop while on a steep incline, then let the clutch out and push the gas while holding the brake down :doah: Usually i don't move backwards, but on some obstacles that small amount of movement was enough to mess my line up.

My bud has a Yota with a Marlin Crawler and it is so low, once you pull the clutch out you don't look back.

I am sure the doubler would be tha same way.

10. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

SM465 with the 4.3:1 atlas behind it and 4.56's driving 37" MT/Rs here.

Even on hills I don't often use the hand throttle because there's enough torque multiplication to get moving without having to even touch the throttle. I just keep on the brakes as light as I have to and just let out the clutch. When I start to load up the drivetrain, I start letting off the brake and just move forward. :D

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I know this isn't really truck-related, but that's a technique I picked up doing auto-x I call "heel-toe." Really neat if you get the hang of it, especially makes driving a 4 cyl cavalier fun :) (This also correlates with "double-clutching" for downshifts). People who ride with my in the cav always wonder how I can push three pedals at once :D

12. stallion85

ya, but my legs are usually shaking cause my adrenaline is going. Usually after a wicked obstacle I get out and can feel my legs shaking :eek1:

I guess I am just a puss :haha:

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run an SM 465 behind a 6.2 diesel with 4.56's and 39.5's. In low range and in first gear it's near unstoppable...if there is traction it'll climb it at idle. As for having to three foot it, that is not an issue at all. To start on steep terrain it's right foot on brake, left foot on clutch...let clutch out and ease up on brake and you're off at a whopping .9 mph. No need for any throttle input, the 6.2 has enough 'at-idle' torque to not stall with that kind of reduction and gearing.

I still run mechanical linkage with a diaphram clutch...again it's so not an issue. Most anything technical/crawling I do with both feet on the floor and let the truck finds it's way.

I'd never run an auto, and once I got away from a carb'd motor I've never had an issue with the SM465.

Rene

14. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's even more fun in a GTO. Twice as many cylinders and the drive wheels are in the right place. :D :D :D

Though the gas pedal isn't set up right so you have to twist your foot in a funny angle to make it work (or replace the pedal with a different one).

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Tim's truck has a Quadrajet on it. i have tried several times to get him to rape the 87 R30 sitting in his yard of the TBI, but he refuses for some reason. :crazy:

he's running 39.5s, not 38s.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a hand throttle.

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i run a sm465/np208. when crawling, i run low and 2nd or high and 1st depending on the trail. low and 1st is just too dam slow for anything around here.

i do wish i had a hand throttle, but it will come soon.

18. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have enjoyed every minute of owning my 465. It's about the most indestructable l/d truck transmission I know of. I'm running a hydro setup with a 12" luk pro gold, 4.56's, 42" iroks and a mildly built 400. I have never had any problems on hills... just let the clutch get a little bit of friction, let off the brake and your moving. The luk has never slipped, gotten hot or chattered in the least bit. The only thing I ever really worry about is my super custom mechanical to hydraulic clutch bracket pedal assembly that I skillfully fabricated out of my old trailer hitch. Oh yeah, for anybody that buys the luk pro gold- I was worried that the 10 spline drive portion of the clutch disc seemed extremely loose. It had 2 or 3 millimeters of play back and forth. Even all the automotive gurus at auto zone and oreilly's thought it was weird. I couldn't feel this one bit after it was installed. Have fun man!

19. stallion85

Say that 5 times fast :haha:

20. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I have a 465 behind my 6.2 diesel and I love it. For trail running I rarely even put it in 4-low. I have stock 4.11s and 35" tires.