Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those of u that have your rear shocks like this /"\

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Apr 28, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

rear shock mounts are inward with and shock mounts that use shock bolts like what u would use for the top mounts but, there on the rear end??so the 2 shocks look like this:/\
    how's it ride?? is there a differance,bouncy,axle wrap???

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Could someone please translate this into English. Thanks!

My rear shocks are inboarded. It rides fine. Running a shock at an angle reduces how much it dampens though. Something to keep in mind. The optimum way to run a shock is oriented vertically... but since there isn't enough room under some rigs to mount long travel shocks straight up and down, some people run them at various angles. As far as axle wrap goes, it probably won't effect it much. If you have an axle wrap issue, shocks oriented stock-style may slow it down but it won't eliminate it.

j

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah man, that basically makes no sense. I am runnig my shocks inboarded like this /\. You can buy a nice kit to do it with adjustable mouting positions from missouri offroad. Thats where I got mine. Its all bolt on but you have to drill 8 holes through the frame. I dont know abou the ride though. I drove it for almost 2 years without rear shocks, so it feels like a cadillac now.
    -Harrison

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If Your needing to mount Your rear shocks like this /\ then Your pretty much past the point of how it will ride but rather how it will perform.

5. down4thakrown

yea,after reading that....oops. "allergies" were messin with me,windy day :whistle: and i was rushed. just wanted to know how a system like the one M.o.o. sells worked.i had to read it twice to try to figure out what i was askin. :blush:
    soo... how well does that M.o.o. system hold up,flex?Does anybody have pix of the weld on mounts? do they weld on the top of the axle tube or the back side of the tube??

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I made my own set up. I don't think I like it much... as for ride... I'm running 38.5 bias ply tires... so, my ride is pretty sh!ty anyway... not sure if the rear shock will make a noticable difference... But I'm gonna be moving them to where they both angle forward, similar to one side on the original set up...

7. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Did my rear shocks at the same time as a shackle flip. I thought that it was going to ride worse. To my suprise it rides better, although I'm sure that is was from the flip. Nonetheless ride is good and flex is much better. I do believe that the M.O.O. upper shock x-member has adjustable shock mounts. This way you can fine tune shock angle to travel needs.

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

A couple years ago I inboarded mine. Super easy. Cost all of $10. Drilled a few holes in some angle-iron and welded some shock tabs on top of the axle tube. It rode nearly the same and allowed full articulation without limiting the shocks.

Crossmember.jpg

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all shocks do is keep vehicle from moving up and down floating after a bump, etc,
    just for the ride quality

sometimes theres too many springs on a vehicle such as a 1 ton dually to even need shocks cuz the leaf packs dont even flex enough to do anything but bounce the rear axle over the bumps

pointless to have shocks then,. they would never be compressed except when you loaded the truck down with a load of something

i was reading somewhere that gm was advertising why in 73 they put the shocks staggered opposite directions and on opposite side of the axle tubes and it was something to the effect of it helps keep the axle housing form turning or bouncing or something

i dunno

personally i think the best is the 72 older setup but move the tops of the shocks closer to axle so they are vertical

then they can be most effective that way

you would think

who knows

everyone will opinionate on shocks stuff liek this

shocks are jut there for ride quality, and thats it, and on alot of leaf spring rear vehicles(those with a ton of leaves like 8 or more) i dont see the point of having any, theyre never gonna travel unloaded anyways, loaded either

once i removed the shocks from an old 68 pickup with coils rear and drove it down the street like 35 or 40mph and that damn whole back of truck would never quit riding liek a a boat going over wind driven waves, it was nuts, would never stop traveling up and down the entire drive haha, it was funny as hell though,

definitely have to have shocks on lighter springed vehicles, for sure!

whatever works.., or seems right to you :d

i dunno if any of the info will help you but good luck

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ive got mine inboarded and on my suburban it rolls a little more through turns but its not bouncy.

11. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    (one shock is not mounted obviously)

Mine rides good, not extra bouncy I don't think, was more concerned with flexing good offroad though than ride. Of course I used to run no shocks in the rear for awhile so my opinion may be skewed. :grin:

12. down4thakrown

are those the M.O.O. weld on shock mounts or home brew???
    cant wait to get some extra $ to get started. i just broke my wallet on the exhaust for my D.d.