Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those of you who have dealt with Jess at HAD. . .

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Nov 15, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I am about to order the 241 sye kit with the CV shaft . . . the whole works essentially. how was the install? how long did shipping/making the shaft take. if i placed an order today when would it arrive? do i have to call in the order or will e-mail do? i've heard way too many good things to have any questions about quality or durability, i'm just wondering about install and order turnover.
    thanks,
    Henry

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I am about to order the 241 sye kit with the CV shaft . . . the whole works essentially. how was the install? how long did shipping/making the shaft take. if i placed an order today when would it arrive? do i have to call in the order or will e-mail do? i've heard way too many good things to have any questions about quality or durability, i'm just wondering about install and order turnover.
    thanks,
    Henry

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is time sensitive, call jess right NOW and get things rolling. He got me my 2 shafts in 4 days or so when I was in a rush to build up before the 1st BB.

HAD is the best driveshaft comp in the industry, I dont know about the SYE kits, all i know is that HAD rules.

just give em a call and he'll hook you up. There is a member discount too.

j

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Jess rocks! I bought all my flanges and yokes to build my custom(self Made!) square shafts and everything, got here in a hurry!!!!! I had it all and was building within a week!!!!! After I built the shaft and put one flange(32spline R) on my case and everything went without a hitch! I was so impressed with the work, I ordered another 32 spline for the front and it got here even faster!!!! Here is the best part!!! I looked back at it all about a month later and really wanted a sticker to add to the TACK Box in the back of my truck! I wrote him a quick email asking if I could buy a sticker to put on it to help advertising..... He said no problem and all he wanted was an address!!!
    When it arrived a week later, not only was there a sticker(Large window size), but an awesome t-shirt, AND a Sweatshirt FOR FREE!!!!! THEY ROCK! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't care what anyone says about CS for other companies, but the CS I got on this was Awesome! Workmanship asside(EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT IS GREAT), Jess' customer service is awesome and I would buy form him again and again!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

The last time I was up in that neck of the woods ...There was a barn that had a HUGE mural of Jesus riding a horse ..I was really shocked and amaised when I sav it !!!!If you chat with him, as if he knows of it !!!! Glyn

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

when i was in a pinch i belive he got it to my door in like 4 working days.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have only heard one person ever complain about Jess's work. I really wish I knew exactly why he did complain. He told me the details, but to me it just doesn't seem like Jesse to not hook him up.

He had said he called and talked to a few other people but not him directly. It wasn't a total horror story, just a few mistakes were made.

Either way, I hope to one day get a front shaft from him. I am broke so I can't really afford it, but I hope one day I can and I'll get one. I just really wish I knew why that one guy (my friend Mike) had a complaint.

Before you tell me it sounds crazy, believe me, I agree with you. He has been tremendous in his genorisity to the web community, giving away free shafts and advice on setups. I definitely would buy from him despite the one bad story I heard.

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

wow, that post made me smile,

that is customer service! and caring about them as well!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

High Angle = /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just rebuilt my 241, and installed the JB Conversions SYE short shaft kit.

Shaft install was no big deal, even though I tore my TC completely down and rebuilt it with all new bearings, seals, etc.

The SYE install should go like this:
    (Somebody correct me if you disagree!)

1. Remove TC

2. If it's dirty/oily, take it by the local car wash, and clean it off with the high pressure nozzle before you start. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3.Remove rear tail cone, speedometer output gear/shaft, and pump retainer housing. Remove outer snap ring, Speedo gear, and inner snap ring.

4. Seperate case, and slide the rear case half and oil pump off of the mainshaft. This is a good time to clean the pump pick up screen and magnet.

5. Remove snap ring on front output shaft, and slide the front drive sprocket, chain and main shaft out of the case, paying attention to the location of the shift forks as you go. Also keep an eye on the little pads that go between the forks and shift collar, they will probably fall off, and you don't want to lose those!

6.Remove the snap ring from the mainshaft, and slide the mainshaft gear, syncro assembly, and drive sprocket off of the old main shaft. Remove the two bearings from the inside of the drive sprocket, and then slide the sprocket/syncro ring/gear onto the new short shaft.

7.Install the lock ring onto the new shaft.

8.Place chain over the drive sprocket on the main shaft, align the main shaft with the pilot bearing inside the input gear in the front of the case, place the shift forks in the slots on the range shift hub, and synchronizer sleeve. Next, place the driven sprocket inside the chain. Position the driven (front) sprocket over it's shaft, and guide the mainshaft, driven sprocket (front) and chain back into the housing at the same time (Hardest part of the whole install) Make sure the little pads are all in place on the shift forks as your slide the assembly into place. (I caught hell, one of mine would fall off just before I got the fork in contact with the selector hub)

9.Install snap ring on the front output shaft.

10.Replace magnet in the case, if removed. Apply RTV sealant to the case half, then re-assemble the case halfs, making sure the pump pickup tube remains fully seated in the pump housing. Don't forget to put the little fork shift spring back onto it's shaft, if you removed it.

11.Install inner snap ring, speedo gear, and outer snap ring.

12.Press the roller bearing out of the pump retainer housing, and press the new sealed unit bearing in to the housing, with the collar to the inside of the Tcase.

13.run a thin bead of RTV sealant around it's face, then install the pump retainer housing.

14. Install the seal into the new seal retainer, apply RTV to the seal retainer, then install it on the pump retainer housing with the supplied allen head bolts.

15.Install the supplied washer, then your flange or yoke. Use rtv on the back of the nut to prevent leaks, and thread locker on the threads, torque to spec.

16.Run range selector thru the different positions (2hi/4hi/n/4lo) and rotate the input shaft to check for proper operation.

17.Reinstall T-case, fill with fluid, check for leaks.

18.Make your measurement, then call Jess for that 1 Ton CV shaft!

Here's the exploded view of the 241. This is a driver's side drop view, so just imagine the output on the passenger side, if that's what you have.

[​IMG]

If your case has high miles, I strongly suggest getting a rebuild kit and new chain before you install the SYE. I got mine from JB Conversions. It is a complete kit, with all of the seals, bearings, o-rings, etc. you need to rebuild the whole case. I also includes a set of the slider pads that go on the shift folks. (Mine were trashed). I also got my new chain from JBC.

You may be able to fine the TC parts locally, but I was very glad I had every thing on hand, and John at JBC was very helpful in answering my questions.

The exploded view looks intimidating, but when disassembled the case is actually very simple.

I just recieved my High Angle yoke, 1Ton CV shaft, and E-brake kit. I'm looking forward to getting them installed. My front shaft should be here next week. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have called and E-mailed Jess many times, he has always followed up quickly with info, pricing, and assistance. His product and customer service speak for themselves.

You're not too far away, give me a shout if you want a hand.

MMMMMMM old Salem....
    Moravian cookies...... MMMMMMmmmmmmmm!
    I could road trip for some of those! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just my (long) .02 worth
    Byron

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

thanks man. if i'm just doing the SYE what kind of time are we lookin at? and it sounds like i might need your help /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I would say that it is probably about 4 hours. It is not that hard.

When I got my kit from HAD, they forgot to ship a seal but they shipped it overnight to get it too me and then I got everything all together and the HAD driveshaft was 3" too short and I had to mail it back to them and they had to mail me a new one and I got it about 5 days later, so their mess ups set me back about a week. It was really not a big deal to me, and none of that was directly Jess's fault. That is my only dealings with HAD, but honestly I was not that impressed with the company. But when it comes time to get a front driveshaft I will probably still go with them.

Also I don't think that you will get a discount on the short shaft kit.

Trey

11. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Let me know if you want a hand, I may be up that way the weekend after Thanksgiving...

Took me 2hrs to tear the case down, rebuild it, and reassemble it with the SYE short shaft. That was working at a garage with a press and parts washer. The only thing that stumped me was the OD of the new mainshaft was the same as the OD of the bearings inside the gear/sprocket. I put a call,in to John at JBC, and he explained that the new application calls for the removal of the bearings to install the new short shaft. After figuring that out, it was a cinch to get it put back together.

Have you ordered the SYE yet?

Byron

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I didn't have any problems with timing on any of the stuff I got from Jess. He even FedEx overnight'd me a caliper bracket with a different clocking for my 205 e-brake that I got from him for no charge! The only place that I have ever delt with that was on par with HAD customer service is ORD. Both of those places rock!

I can't wate fo get the shaft from Jess again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif