Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those of you who've served... or know your CUCV's...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, May 25, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Those of you who\'ve served... or know your CUCV\'s...

just got a set of bumpers off a CUCV (thanks Brian!) which I'm gonna clean up and use on my '74. (They're already cut for the airlfit shackles I bought last summer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I see they also have a set of cutouts for something else -- blackout lights, maybe? In the front the holes are ~1.5x2.5", and in the rear, 1.5x4". They're towards the outside of the bumper but low, which is why I'm thinking blackout lights.

But then what's the covered light on the driver's side in the grille?

Or are these not lights are for something else?

-- A

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: Those of you who\'ve served... or know your CUCV\'s...

The light in the grill is the Black Out Drive light. (projects light down to the ground in front of the vehicle) that light was completely useless on my bigger rig in the service.

The front bumper lights were Black Out Marker lights
    The rear bumper are blackout marker and brake lights.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

You could tell the direction a vehicle was facing and weather or not it was stoping based on the pattern from the lights in front of you in convoy. You could also tell if you were too close or not by the small space in between each light, if you could see that you were toooooo close!

3. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

The holes are for tow shackles & I think they used them to lift the truck by helicopter. I got sum on my '87 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif there's pic's in my webshots. laters Dave

4. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

We use cucv's here and the only thing we use those shackles for is tieing the vehicles down while they are being transported and for pulling out stuck trucks. The dimensions that guy gave sound like the cutouts for those shackles.

5. dremu

Sorry, guys, shoulda been more specific. The shackle cutouts are inside, by the frame rails; these other cutouts are farther out... a pic is worth 1k words:

[​IMG]

Bottom is front bumper, top is the rear, upside down. The square holes nearest the license plate/center are the airlift shackle cutouts ... the ones I'm asking about are outboard of that.

So I'm thinking blackout marker lights is the right answer then?

-- A

6. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Those holes are for the lights. I just threw away those same bumpers yesterday but off a truck, different back bumper though with the lights in them. laters, Dave

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

did you paint those in your house?

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My wife would kill me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    did you paint those in your house?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it, doesn't it? LOL, no, there's a little patio outside my apartment.

-- A

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The light in the grill is the Black Out Drive light. (projects light down to the ground in front of the vehicle) that light was completely useless on my bigger rig in the service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my 2 cents. The black out drive light in the front was designed for use with the Night Vision Goggles. I projects just enough light to brighten everything up to see with the optics. With the naked eye they were useless. The rear lights, red triangles were also used witht he optics or naked eye. Again just emitting enough light to keep from blinding your through the goggles.

I know it was off subject but like I said just my 2 cents with the Black Out Drive lights.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just a little side note on those shackel attachments. They are square tube and will bend if you put a heavy side load on them. For a straight pull they work fine but on an angle they will bend. Don't ask how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I side loaded mine so bad it bowed up the bumper and the tailgate would hit it when I opened it.

12. dremu

Hmm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How about solid rod then?...

-- A

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how well the drive light worked on CUCV's since I only drove them on rare occasions, but the placement on a HEMTT is under the cab behind the grill and even with the NVG's you still couldn't see squat. Then the dash light for black out caused a reflection on the glass that made seeing with the NVG's a nightmare too, so I only used them on foot and never behind the wheel.

One night we had some Majors idiot son come out on the range with his high beams while we were in convoy and the guys with NVG's on ended up running off the road (one drove off a low water crossing) because of the goggles shutting off then. However the two HEMTT wreckers at the rear (only guys without NVG's on) managed to trap the car between their rigs until the MP's could come and slap the kid around a bit on the way to lock up.

Oh yeah, I drove one of those wreckers.

I've got a set of those lights here that I'm working into my Burb as well as a set of IR flood lights from a track.
    Those are cool, they look like black driving lights and you can only tell they're on by the heat they put off.