Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those of you with the SM465....What clutch are ya runnin?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Researchin the upcoming swap and been lookinat clutchs. What do ya'all run and why? The regular ole' AutoZone stuff, Centerforce I, II, or Dualfriction? Want to hear opions and stuff....It'll be goin behind a built 402 BB- Harland Sharpe roller rockers, Balanced crank, forged pistons...Do I need somethin like the CenterForce? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use to have an old 3fork style pressureplate and I would have to work real hard to get that damn pedal down. Back when my K5 was a daily driver I got stuck in traffic and damn did that suck!! So I got a CenterforceII cluch kit. I forget how many fingers the pressureplate has but there is like 10 as aposed to the 3 that are on a stockstyle. Real smooth and easy to press in, WAY eaisier than stock. I put this cluch in back in '94 and I have yet had to adjust it or do anything with it sence then!! It has been great.
    I hear the Dualfriction is a bit overkill for us lowend torque guys. Now if you had a street rod or something that turns 8grand on a regular basis then go Dualfriction. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the 12" 'replacement' clutch with the 3 finger Borg and Beck style pressure plate. sucked!!! Never slipped but like Steve said getting caught in traffic will give you a work out you won't soon forget./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I got the diaphragm style pressure plate going behind the 6.2...still manual linkage for now so I should see a pretty direct comparison in pedal feel.

Rene

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have a Zoom diaphram in there now, stupid move on my part wasting cash on a painted pink LUK.
    I would recommend a LUK replacement and a hydraulic linkage.
    would be the cheapest way and I am betting you lose nothing in performance.
    Centerforce is another advertising gimic product.
    Ram and McLeod IIRC are still real clutch companies that will make what you want. Real racers use them.
    avoid anything under the Mr Gasket group

if you care to research what you actually need in the way of a clutch get the Clutch Handbook from HP Books.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i have some sort of heavy duty clutch, dont know what kind, but i know its heavy duty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. when i goto replace it i will get a standard clutch from the place down the street. its 145$, and 30$ to machine the flywheel.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Dual friction.

I needed everything. The Dual Friction was the better price/performance.

7. Zeus33rd

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have a Zoom diaphram in there now, stupid move on my part wasting cash on a painted pink LUK.
    I would recommend a LUK replacement and a hydraulic linkage.

[/ QUOTE ]

mj...Think you could find me a link to info on any of that stuff?

Rene...You have part #'s/prices for what you run?
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    So I got a CenterforceII cluch kit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And Burt- Do you remember what ya paid for that Centerforce II kit? On the centerforce website, it costs $233.95 for the 12". Not including the disc which costs $119.95. I was kinda leanin towards the Centerforce II...but I'd like to find the best price of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have the Centerforce DF behind my 350...when I get my BBC in, I am going with the LUK clutch...I can get a LUK Replacement clutch from Napa (where I work) for $130 with a disc, pres. plate, TO bearing, pilot bushing, alignment tool and a 1 year warrenty...

Chris

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

LUK is one of if not the biggest clutch manufacturer/remanufacturer in North America.
    Centerforce stuff is a modifyied LUK, not certain how much you have to spend to get a Centerforce that isnt a reboxed LUK.

chances are your local chain store sells LUK clutches, look at the pressure plate to see whose name is stamped into it.
    Valeo is another large one.

http://www.lukclutch.com/catalog/index.phtml?gen_make=8&amp;gen_model=209

10. Zeus33rd

Why ditchin the CenterForce for the Luk?

And thanks for the link mj. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. 87sm465np208

hmmm luk eh, ive heard theyre name before, theyre "gold" clutch is 215$ with all the goodies. and theyre plain ol' clutch is 118$. i wonder who would sell this stuff, the napa store is about a half hour away, it is the warehouse, they'd probly have it, wouldnt they? or would a clutch that is made over seas for 145$ be better, and the store that sells them is about 2 minutes away? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I put the biggest Luk RepSet Gold I could get behind my 454 and its great. Stock feel, lets you slip it for big loads or gentle starts, but holds like a mother when all the way out. Centerforce clutches are ceramic I think, so if you do need to slip them they will roast your PP and FW, they also grab really quick (not designed to slip basically) so maybe not what you want if you need control and precision. Ive never run a centerforce but I don't think I would after talking to guys who have used them, and talking to my tranny guy.

andy

13. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I've been running a LUK ProGold for 3 years now and I love it. I payed a premium for it (through a shop), though. I tow a big boat and am in stop and go traffic all the time with no complaints. The pedal feel is easier than stock and I've never once felt it slip.
    smack

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I run a LUK clutch forget the specs but it was probably the cheaper one around $130. Its a 12" 3 prong HD style, a little harsh on the pedal compared to mt old 10 prong style diaphram but it grabs and never slips. I like it...

15. 87sm465np208

so the stock style clutch, is the 3 prong? i like that, my dad put a clutch like that in his old 69' van, he said it was a bear to push down, but always grabbed. me being 18 years old, i could use some stronger leg muscles /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. personally i wouldnt want somthing that will distroy my pressure plate and fly wheel if i slip it, but thanks for clearing that up for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 87sm465np208

one thing i forgot to mention, the centerforce clutch's can get messed up from mud, so if you run mud that is one consideration /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and i think they are WAY to over priced, unless yur running so much horsepower, and such big tires that you distroy a stock style clutch every 10k miles, but that is just my opinoin, because i dont see paying 600$ for a clutch for an every day driver\ occational off-roader.

17. fortcollinsram

Well I need the clutch and pressure plate to get my rtotating assemly balanced on the 454 that I am building, so I am picking up a new clutch for that and I will just use the LUK behind the BBC..I am building a buggy out of my 1978 K5 and the 350 I am putting in that will have my current Centerforce DF in it...By the way, LUK makes teh centerforce pressure plates, even the DF...

Chris

18. Zeus33rd

Does anyone have a part number and place where I can get the 11 7/8" Luk? Niether AutoZone or Kragen had the Luk stuff....Does Napa carry luk?

19. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

I am running the 11 7/8" LUK and have been very happy with it. My wife drives the rig when we are at the lake on the lanch ramp and she burns it every time she baks the trailer into the water. I set it up for her and all she has to do is push the brake and clutch in and start the truck,let it roll back and hit the brake. The boat slips right in the drink and she then burns the SH!T out of the cluch on the way back up the ramp. She has done this all year now and I have had no problems as of yet so yes I am very happy.let me tell you this. If you are in the market for anything ask me first and I will tell you if my wife can break it or not /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. fortcollinsram

Yeah, Napa carries LUK clutches...at our store, we have both the RepSet and the ProGold in stock...I am going with the RepSet b/c it is mopre application specific than the ProGold....I will check on PN's next time I go to work...