Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those of you with Truck Campers!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Pookster, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So the more I look, the more I talk to you guys, a truck camper seems ideal. It will give me the ability to tow, the ability to manuveer, and the ability to take it off my truck when I dont need it.

The question is, pop up, or full size? Advantages? Disadavantages?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I went full size as they are warmer in the colder climates. I like it. I bought it for $600 and it has a fridge and stove, queen bed, etc. You could get a cheap one like that and see if its something you want. Mine is an 8.5' unit (not including cab over part) so I can still use the car trailor. I plan on extending the tongue on the trailor next year so I might get one a little bit bigger.

I hear that the pop up tracks can go bad after some time making them a real headach. Also if you dont get a quality one, the canvas goes bad also. I've had a pop up camper before and they were nice to tow with but cold at night and didnt block sound very good. Still beat the hell out of a tent though.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Do you have pics of yours? lol, maybe I buy yours from you when your done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then you can just get a larger one! lol.

An interesting though- My hitch is right to the edge of my bumper- Add the drop ball, it extends it another 3 inches or so. And then my trailer has another 3-4 ft for the A part and coupler. So even at a minimum of 3 ft... shouldnt I be able to use at least a 10ft?

4. Sandman

Thats sounds similar to my trailor and I didnt want to go with a bigger camper yet. The concern is a sharp turn caould cause them to hit.

I will have it all hooked together in a few weeks for BB04. I'll take some pics of how close everything is and stuff so you can check it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

WEll, I got one. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2489442880

Its an 1989, and needs to be cleaned up desprately! But i won it for 380, which is a good deal. and its less than 30 min away /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif (3-4 nights of motels would recover its cost!) its a pop up- I thought about it, and I figured that if a pop up is good enough for turtle expedition to siberia, its good enough for me. I'll probably sow on an outer layer of insulated mylar (space blanket), which will keep the cold out and the heat in, and just crack the roof vent to let out condensation. It has much like yours- Bed, stove, fridge, sink. At least I dont have to deal with a pooper. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I think I'll still keep some decent MPG being its a pop up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Must take pics when I get it! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I especially like the little sliding window so you can access the truck interior. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Sandman

For that price you cant go wrong!

Good Deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thanks man! I was thinking, "would sandman say I paid too much?"

9. Sandman

The fridges are like $600 bucks around here. That alone is worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Wow. I didnt realize it was that much. I know I was reading on motorhomemagazine.com forums, and everyone was saying how it wasnt worth it to try and build your own, that is was significantly cheaper just to buy a used one.