Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those running 2 power steering pumps, HB + Assist

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Sep 14, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im going to be swapping in 6.2 soon and the hydro-boost. from the little searching ive done ive found that a stock pump wont handle HB and hydro assist together. i searched and found some good info on willywanter, but all the pics are dead. is it hard to set up the second pump? i put in a new stock pump and did the pump mods and it steers, but not as fast as i would like. i imagine it will be worse with the HB. any info or pics would be greatly appreciated

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

would a hydro boost pump be able to run both the assist and the hydro boost?

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been tossing this idea around in my head as well. Interested in pics too. My thoughts on the subject were to maybe find an old smog pump bracket and modify it to fit the power steering pump.

Not too sure if it would work as it was just me thinking about it.

4. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am in the process of adding hydro assist and I have HB. I will def post up as I plan on 1 pump for my setup. If it sucks hind tit I will figure out another avenue.:D

Ira

6. muddybuddy

ira, how do you like the HB without the assist? is it really that much better? i just have a feeling that my stock pump will not take it long at all. what pump are u planning on running?

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I run a stock HB pump that I rebuilt and did the mods to increase off idle flow and raise pressure. The booster seems to handle it fine other than it appears that I may be seperating the crimp on my High Pressure out house from the booster to the box:doah: . The brakes are better but I still have rear drum and I think I have my lines backwards on the MC cause my rear locks up and the front never does even when I stab them. It just feels as if the rears come in first. I did swap them from my old MC that is what makes me think I am wrong. Overall it works well and I hope it continues to once I put a ram on it. I also already have a cooler in line and I just got a remote rez from a van and the adapater nipple thing to go on my existing rez from the junkyard. If this pump ever goes I will prolly get a howe pump as they are just down the road from me:D . Literally about 5 miles:D

Ira

8. muddybuddy

alright, i thought you had disc's *doh*. ive got a mc off a newer 3500 (i think thats what it was, i posted it up months ago, but forget now) and it stops the 40s, but u gatta punch it with 4wheel disc. i imagin HB would really help in 4wheel disc applications. i cant wait :) keep us updated with what happens with your HB and assist

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Will do. I am gonna do it this way because I have only seen issues with full hydro and HB not assist and HB. Also no one can say yes or no so I am gonna try it with one and if it is not good I will figure out a way to fix it:D .

Ira