Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those running headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Oct 2, 2000.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I would like to install headers on my 86 silverado 4x4. Its a 305 with stick shift. I was trying to get ideas on brands and exhaust designs. I would like to install the headers and them route the exhaust to the drivers side and then exit somewhere where it wouldn't get destroyed off-road. I'd be interested in some of your guys ideas. Thanks

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 and am looking for headers too. Every body i have talked to said make sure it has the O2 sensor. As far as I know any brand will do. My dads 69 impala has some heddmans that are pretty bad. He got them ceramic coated and they have stayed that shiny gray color since. They were kind of expensive though. Like 300 bucks i think. I ran my duals to the rear and exit behind the tires. The only thing to ever happen to them is a little mud. They stay out of the way.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I put Hedmans on my 79. Run duals with a crossover just aft of the transfer case. Then ran them out just past the rear wheels. Used 2 1/2 pipe. Couldnt see running them out the same side. Looks like it would get cramped and crowded where the would join up and then getting them between the springs and the gas tank. Had to modify the transmission shift linkage to clear the exhaust pipe (TH350).

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have heard that with some headers it gets near impossible to change the plugs and with me that is a very important point to ponder I will be changing headers someday and i want to go with one that lets me have easy access to the plugs and doesn't get too close to the oil filter.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

I have an 89 GMC Jimmy Full Size, and made the jump to the JBA Headers. Part # 1830-4. These bolt right up to the factory Y-Pipe, and have the O2 sensor just like your stock manifolds do. I then went down to the local muffler shop (which my neighbor owns) and had him put stainless from the headers to my Gibson cat-back exhaust. This was the best purchase I have made yet. The website for JBA is www.jbaheaders.com if you are interested. Next project is a lift and new tires and wheels...............wife otta love that.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com