Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those T-700 blues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shralper, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Shralper

Shralper Registered Member

So I just had my 2 yr old Jet T-700 go, KABLEWY!Rebuild and new torque converter, only $2000. CRAP! Oh well, the Aamco guy tells me pretty much no onwe is getting more than 70K outta one. Mine had 55K. Mild 350 and 35" tires on a 'Burb.So who else has had issues w/ the t-700. Stock or modified engine or trans. I'm wondering if getting the diff's and gears in sooner would have helped. From 3.42open/ 10b to 4.88/d44,14b posi/locker. Thinking I might have to go to 4L80E for the 383 or 496, tuff decision, goin in. So what's everyone think? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Manual, and never worry about it again.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

have you already had aamcodo the work? they are known for being real crappy

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Deep-6 the 700 in favor of a TH400, and then never worry about it again.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you use an external cooler rated for your vehicle, and how many times did you flush the fluid (remember the tranny holds about 12 qts and you only get 3-4 draining the pan)? Not to sound like an a$$, but I have good luck with a rebuild unit in my 80 and I truck pull with it, have towed people who broke at the pulls home, and towed Noangels 88 blazer half way across the state.
    Disclaimer: I had a guy rebuild the tranny with all new bushings, steels, bands, clutches etc., made sure my TV cable was adjusted properly (Most people and even tranny shops don't know how to do it right, and if not that = short tranny life), put on a big auxillary cooler, and I flush my fluid at 15 - 20K.
    I know it is not the strongest transmission (admittedly) and will someday upgrade to a 4l80, but a 700 can last if properly built, adjusted, maintained, and not behind a super strong motor or 36+ tires. Missing one of those and you are in trouble. Other tranny's ARE more forgiving as far as maintenance (and manuals are pretty much maintenance free COMPARED to an auto). I will actually probably throw this 700 tranny in my 78 (currently a stock TH350) when I upgrade the 80 to help with mileage.
    If you are seriously worried about reliability and want OD, check out a 4L80E or go with and NV4500 (both of which aren't cheap swaps). Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Chris

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am with Dorian on this one...And I second 90K5's suggestion about AAMCO...the do crap work...I took my truck there to have the tv cable adjusted and they really messed it up...they are probably the reason my rebuilt 700 started to burn fluid after such a short period of time...I put a rebuilt 700 in my K5 and after a a little while I said screw it and put in a 465/205 combo...I have never looked back...the peace of mind I have now is INCREDIBLE /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ...

7. Shralper

Well I figure I'll give aamco thier chance. If it lasts at least 2 yrs, well thats as good as the Jet. Yes I have a good cooler and the TV cable was adjusted correctly. I know about that. Thing is on my total beater 2w 'burb I got 225K and the 700 trans works fine. I never adjusted the tv or even changed fluid often enuff. I used that as a major towing rig for awhile. This as my daily driver/ snowmo tow rig so I guess I'll plan on doin a 496BB/4L80E swap sometime down the road, as it were. Schralp on! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

First off forget getting anybody to rebuild it right. It’s been my experience that 99.99% of the folks out there can’t get it right. After I smoked (literally) my third 700 in about a year, I started checking into why nobody could get the rebuild right. Turns out that the first few years that GM made them, they were using the tranny as a stop-gap (very weak, cheap internals) until they could design a better auto-overdrive. By the last two years that they made the 700, they had finally got it right (read that strong enough to last 100k miles). Almost all of the rebuilders that I talked to used the stock parts and didn’t know how to modify them to be stronger, or they wouldn’t modify them. Why should they, when the shops know that the owner will be back in 40 to 60k miles for another rebuild? So far the best solution that I have found is to order a new one from GM ($1863.95) and have them install it for another $300. This tranny is built to 94? I think (the last year they made them) specs and has the extra clutch packs and Corvette servos, plus a lot of other heavy duty goodies in it. This way you will have a three year, 50k mile warranty, and if something happens to it, you just drop it off, pay the $25 warranty fee and they fix it and readjust the TV cable. When you get it back from the shop, install a stacked plate type cooler (they are MUCH more efficient) and 10” fan for added insurance. I know it’s kind of expensive, but at least the tyranny is the last thing that you will have to worry about. BTW, I’ve had mine in now for over a year now (32k miles) and I tow a 5000lb boat 250 miles every weekend in the spring, summer and fall plus go wheelin almost as often in the winter, pull folks out of trouble when on the trail, and I haven’t had one bit of trouble out of it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. Tice

Tice Registered Member

if you want to keep the 700 the tranny shop to rebuild it to the newer (87-up) specs , and put a corvette servo in it. you should get a lot more miles out of it.

10. Shralper

I gotta say the trans feels nice now. Shifts a little firmer than when I 1st put in the Jet performance trans. One thing I did notice driving was it seem to e running a bout 150-200 rpm lower than before at same speed. So thats making wonder if the trans was right to start with. The rans supposedly had all the beefy mods done originally. The guys at Aamco told me there's a few things they would have done different vs. Jet. Also told that nonlock up trans, which this is, is the kiss of death. But I'm wondering if that only matters if using OD, cuz I havent been using OD, yet. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif