Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Oct 27, 2004.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Those who don\'t learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Monday's USA TODAY had a good article on the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis.

The timeline of events detailed everything carter did in response:
    step one, Cater announced the US would stop importing oil from Iran, and freeze Iranian assets.

Next, the "international court of justice" ordered the release of the hostages. The militants ( terrorists) rejected the decision.

on Dec 31st, 1979, the UN Secretary general Kurt Waldheim leaves for Iran to negotiate the release of the hostages. He returns four days later, having been denied a meeting with Khomeni. Waldheim predicts " no quick solution"

The US then breaks off diplomatic relations with Iran, and imposes other economic sanctions.

On april 25th, an attempted rescue mission fails.

The crisis goes on until reagan defeats carter, who promptly unfreezes assets, pays off Iran and the hostages go free.

So what can we learn? IMHO, we can glean the following:

GWB is the first president, republican or democrat, to understand the radical islamic threat and deal with it.

Mr kerrys method of talking and negotiating with the bad guys failed then, and will fail if he's elected. Nobody's asked kerry what he'd do if the bad guys weren't in a talking mood. Judging by his voting record, and his idolization of diplomacy, I'd say he won't do anything that would be considered effective.

the iranian hostage crisis taught islam that terrorism works, and there's no repercussions for their actions. it took GWB to adjust their thinking. Too bad so many innocents lost their lives in the meantime.

bottom line: if kerry gets in the white house, it'll be the carter years all over again. The left is bent on destroying the institutions that built this country, and ever since vietnam, the left has slowly broken the will of this nation to even fight for itself.

Without the willingness to fight for our flag, the bill of rights and the constituiton mean nothing, and all of the sacrifices by our forefathers and armed forces will be wasted.

vote accordingly.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Re: Those who don\'t learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Jimmy Carter, the most ineffective President in our lifetime. Definately someone to learn from. Whatever Carter did, don't do it.

John

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Another good post by Tom /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    vote accordingly

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do, its a no brainer. BUSH 04 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so basicaly we should vote for the best of the available options even though IMHO none are really worth much,

i dunno

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Vote for the draft dodgin, money grabbin, wanna be Texan..Check the facts, where did GWB grow up, go to school, hang out with-you won't like the answers

6. SkulzNBonz

[ QUOTE ]
    Vote for the draft dodgin,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ever been to war? I imagine George H. had something to do w/ W. not going to Vietnam, cause he didn't want to send his son into something he had lived through 30 years earlier. Can't blame him.
    [ QUOTE ]
    money grabbin

[/ QUOTE ]
    So you live in a box and have no need for something so petty as money? You work so you can give all the money YOU earn to those less fortunate than you?
    [ QUOTE ]
    wanna be Texan

[/ QUOTE ]
    Better than a wanna be war hero.

John

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Vote for the draft dodgin, money grabbin, wanna be Texan..Check the facts, where did GWB grow up, go to school, hang out with-you won't like the answers

[/ QUOTE ]

oh fawkin brother. GWB didn't dodge the draft, he was air national guard and defended our southern flank from Soviet nuclear-capable heavy bombers. Remember the Cold War? Didnt think so. "money grabbin"? uhh, anyone whos not a money-grabber is probably a communist... **** them. Kerry fawked over his own family to merry into $500,000,000... so just keep telling yourself that he wont **** you (a total stranger) over for a lot less... or nothing at all. I don't really care if Bush is a "true texan"... who the fork cares? Texans have clearly adopted him as their representative in 2 gov elections and 2 presidential elections... and in any case, what difference does it make? "who he hung out with"? I don't know, but it probably didn't include the soviets (klintons best friends) or the Vietcong/NVA (Kerrys home-boys during his protest days).

j

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Yes I remember the cold war.I spent a very "interesting" winter in the Korean DMZ back in the 70s.Daddy pulled some strings to get junior in the NG AHEAD of a lot of other men on a waiting list-sounds like he was dodging something! I spent 13 years in the service so you could insult me ! Enjoy it, thats why our troops are in Iraq, because they believe in our country.

9. SkulzNBonz

[ QUOTE ]
    I spent 13 years in the service so you could insult me

[/ QUOTE ]
    jek and myself are also veteran's. We did our time for Americans to enjoy Freedom as well.

John