Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who have added an after market VSS please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Jul 11, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I am now on the VSS part of my swap and I have a question for all that have added an after market VSS. I have TBI setup from a 92 truck and have traced all the wires for the interior harness and found the VSS wire that goes to the ECM. The wire I found shows to go the A10 pin on the ECM and is listed as the VSS INPUT. I have done a search here for the answer but no one has asked these questions. Well, now with the questions. All I have is one wire to hook up to a VSS (ie. the one wire A10). I would like to know how you all wired the after market VSS up. I have looked at them on JTR’s web site and see they have two wires to hook up. I wanted to know if one of the wires was a ground or a power wire.

I have seen here that many people here have installed the gauge cluster from 88-91 Blazer/Suburban and use the VSS from that. I can get one of these for next to nothing. Is it easy to hook up or do I need to use all the wiring harness with it or can I hook up that one wire?

Any information on the VSS wiring would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Charles

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can only give you stock '88 camaro wiring info.

VSS is A10 (brown) in this too.

Looks like blk/wht is ground (from buffer) pnk/blk is on the 10 amp gage fuse (spliced into another wire that goes to the fuse block apparently) and the brown wire splits and hits both cruise control and A10 at the ECM.

I don't believe it, but the diagram I'm looking at puts the Camaro VSS buffer INTO the instrument cluster, (so the wiring all shows as coming out of the instrument panel connector) but I know that trucks and other GM cars that vintage were not set up like that, at least with cable drive speedos. Only reason I mention it is that the wire colors are mostly shown as being AFTER going through the firewall, but if A10 is correct, the others are probably as well.

Why they ran A10 into the engine bay, across the motor, and back into the other side of the car is beyond me, thats not how mine is routed now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is NOT polarity sensitive. Take one wire to the VSS input on the computer and one wire to ground. Thats what we did per instruction from Arizona TPI. Works fine.

4. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

azblazer is that the after market type? If it is that type what kind is it and where does it install

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My aftermarket VSS from www.jagsthatrun.com literally plugged into my aftermarket Painless Wiring harness. As Mark (azblazor) said polarity does not matter, at least on mine.

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We bought the the VSS unit from Arizona TPI but I think it was distributed by JagsThatRun also. Ours plugs into the Speedometer cable. We put it at the cruise control module in side the engine bay. It could also go right at the transfer case. It basically adapts inline where ever you have a male/female mating connector in your speedometer cable.