Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who have moved there batteries...??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Mar 15, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I removed my front inner fenders for my narrowing project. I am removing the HVAC system so I can have the space there on the firewall.

Now has anyone used there factory battery tray mounted to the firewall?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

No but I just moved mine behind the passenger seat for better weight distribution.
    Just went to the parts store and bought a $10 plastic battery box then just got some 2/0 guage wire.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

x2 :thumb:

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I mounted the aux battery in the rear of the '73's bed in a Summit aluminum battery box, with 0/1 gauge cable to the engine compartment.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well I have 2 1200ca batteries.. HUGE.. 19Lx12Wx9H EACH!!!! from a ford lm-8000 dumptruck... I am going to mount them in my bed... used a street sign for the mount... my father works for a local borough and they had metal scrap day.. so I just went back there and grabbed one as he said they just trash it.... so a little sittin there with a few beers trying to figure out how to make a bracket and I did it....

lemme find some pics....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so I still have to buy threaded rod... go through the bottom hole.. double nut... then put a nut on top.. then I can lay the top bracket on and nut it down.... all in all I think it was a good idea..... welded it up pretty good with my bird crap welds :haha:

that is 1 sign post..... also those batteries... each one is like 2 normal batteries... im going to mount this in my bed... run the winch to it..... run an isolator so that way if I die in a mud hole and cant get started.. hopefully I can pull myself all the way out!!! HOPEFULLY!!!!!

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

oh yeah I couldnt find much about these batteries.. only that they are big and were free... new too!!! :bow:

each one is 1200ca and 395 reserve minutes each... that is all I could find out

each of my dual duralast golds are 1000ca 195 reserve minutes each... so these 2 have just over the reserve minutes of 1 of those!!!! :wink1:

7. stallion85

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What are you wanting to know?

9. stallion85

If anyone used there stock battery tray mounted to the firewall. I was looking at it today when I took all the heater and A/C stuff out and it looks like it will work......

10. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Jeff, I've seen this on here, w/ a red and a yellow top, somehow methinks KidJethro's buggy?

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did something similar to this with 2 semi batteries. Builts an angle iron frame they sit in and a piece or strap across the top to hold them down.

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Sure did. I made some custom triangle supports to the firewall up to the battery tray. I also strengthened the firewall sheetmetal using a large piece of 1/8 plate. On a side note DO NOT rely solely on the little factory hold down clamp to keep the battery in the tray. On a roll over it will come out, ask me how I know.

Here's a pic, you might have to modify the brightness to see it. If you need a better pic let me know.

BTW , Rob also has this setup, only with dual batteries.

[​IMG]