Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who have shaved 14ff??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Aug 29, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

What type of blade did you use on your sawzall. I have gone through two De Walt metal cutting blades and have only cur about 2". Is it this big of a pain in the ass or do I have the wrong blades?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I used a cut off wheel on my grinder /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used cutoff wheels on the angle grinder (like 5) to cut my 14bff up. I didn't have a sawzall though at the time. The best blades I have found for a sawzall are Millwakee "Torch" blades They are much heavier duty then standard blades and cut well.

Harley

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think I used a 14tpi. I do remember it only took about a minute to cut right through. Was like cutting through butter.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i used a single sawzall blade from home depot, I forget who makes them but they are called "the torch". Works really well. I cut off one big hunk, then angle-grinder'd it all smooth.

j

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Took me 2 blades. I also used the torch.

Is your saw only 1 speed? I wiped out the first blade because I ran mine at full power (mine is a 11.5A motor which is more powerfull then most).

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I used a 14tpi. I do remember it only took about a minute to cut right through. Was like cutting through butter.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep same here... bought a 12 pack of 6" sawzall blades for $22 (actually they where an xmas present). 14tpi, not quite like butter but about 2minutes on each cut and I knocked off twoo large hunks, then I went through 3 4.5" grinding disks /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    Then smoothed it out with a flap wheel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

3 words: Portable Band Saw

It took less than a minute with the saw and 20 minutes with teh grinder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

One 5" cut-off disc (3/32" thick), half of a regular grinding disc and then a flap wheel disc to blend. Grand total was about 10 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a question. Anyone ever hit the bottom bolt hole while doing this? I am going to get to shaving mine as soon as I finish wrestling thos van spring perches off of the axle tube /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Wish I could find a set of those to put on for the Jimmy. Those things are nothing but beef and a PITA to cut/grind off.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I got a little happy with my grinding and I got pretty close, I had to round off the bottom of the bolt that holds the cover on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like this is the blade to go with. Should have asked first /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, I shaved mine until I started seeing threads on the bottom bolt. I didn't mean to go this far but sh*t happens. I bought the DIY4x 14bff cover kit and used the 5/16" ring to beef the lip at the bottom. I had problems with the cover peeling back so I sandwiched the cover with that plate.

Harley