Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who have sway bar disconnect....I have ?????'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Feb 16, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Those who have sway bar disconnect....I have ?????\'s

I already posted on the ORD forum but have yet to get any responses. I thought some of you guys that have them could help me out. I recently purchesd the ORD swaybar disconnect kit and poly bushing kit. I followed the instructions provided by ORD and the write up Steve did on CK5. My question is how tight should you have the frame mounts for the sway bar and do you guys have as hard a time pulling the pins out? It took me a good 15 min to line the stinking thing up and I had the basically pound it into place /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I know it shouldn't be so hard or people wouldn't buy the product /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Any tips or ideas would be great /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Those who have sway bar disconnect....I have ?????\'s

yeah, loosen up the bolts that hold the bushings in place and lube them suckers up really good with grease... when disconnected ya oughta be able to rotate the ASB in those bushings by hand without being a muscle-bound body builder.

j

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you aren't on totally level ground, it's a super-PITA to get the pins in and out. I can do it by hand in my driveway, but I wear a glove because I've hit my hand when it comes free. It's not easy.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

How loose can they be without having to worry about the bolts falling out? Also I put the bushings in where the sway bar connects above the spring plate but I am thinking they are not pressed enough, due to the fact there isn't much room between them and the pin slot thingy majigger /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Mine is completely out of the truck to for weight reduction... and its faster then using quick disconnects

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I got a greasable bushing set for the swaybar crossmember mounts from Autozone - makes the bar easy to move.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

mine are tight too- Thats ok, All I do is carry a hammer and a 3/8th 6" extension. Helps me line everything up, and helps me remove the pins too.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How loose can they be without having to worry about the bolts falling out? Also I put the bushings in where the sway bar connects above the spring plate but I am thinking they are not pressed enough, due to the fact there isn't much room between them and the pin slot thingy majigger /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they were saying to loosen up the bolts and greese the heck out of them, but still tighten them up, i would imagine though as long as they are decently snug, you shouldn't have any problems with them falling out, Maybe put lock nuts on the bolts to make sure they don't come out.