Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who went to Red Rock....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by mtnman210, Dec 15, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Could any of you point out what trails you did and where you camped on a map. And if we went back out there would you be able find the trails. My 4x4 club in Mammoth has intrest in doing that trip and asked me if I could get more info on it. Also if I'd be willing to run the trip. So I'd need to go pre run it once before hand. As of now we're looking into doing after the first weekend in march.

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I think the others will agree that we just scratched the surface of all the places to wander, due to short days and taking time to explore the Schmidt Tunnel. 88Silverado can probably best report on the trails we hit, but I think we saw to most challenging parts. We camped at Ricardo Camp Ground as it was a good landmark to meet, but next time I'd like to camp in the hills, at least after meeting. Will you post up for a ~March trip so that we could join you? SB & 88 buddies, chime in.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

the club would be more than happy to include non-members on their trips. Atleast I think so because technically I don't think I'm a member anymore. I haven't paid membership dues in a long time :haha:

I'll keep everyone posted on when we head out there.

4. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, it was fun, but I agree that camping out in the desert woudl be the way to go next time...I woudl say that on a range of 1-10, by far the hardest was a 4 maybe 5 and that was for all of about 5 minutes...however, it was a heck of a lot of fun and absolutely beutiful. Additionally, the sand bottom riverbed, although not difficult, was heck of fun...fish tails galore! Keep me posted, i woudl go back for sure...with TPI.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The trails out there are pretty well marked. The main trail is EP15. I have a "Friends of Jawbone" map I could probably mail you or you can order one on-line at
    http://www.jawbone.org/

This map has all the areas well marked. The hardest wheeling we did was up Last Chance Canyon. It wasnt bad. Nothing like Miller so theres the comparison. I have a book that says theres a couple class 4 runs (like last chance) going up thru the "Narrows" in Golar Gultch. We missed this run. Something about a short section of dry waterfalls to climb.

Not much hard wheeling out there but a lot of stuff to see. The Opal Mine, Jasper Hill, Burro Schmidts tunnel (good 1/2 mile hike thru the tunnel) Old Dutch Cleanser mine, and a couple others. They say theres a great burger and bar in Randsberg which is suppose to be kinda cool to walk around.

As for camping...I would have to say Ricardos is probably the best to make base camp from.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There are actually two burger places in Randsburg. The "White something" bar and the General Store across the street from it. I've eaten the General Store's burgers and they were good.
    A big weekend, like T-day when I was there directing traffic w/ CORVA, will set the town over run with cab-over chainsaws and motorized Barca-Loungers.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Let's go!
    :xmas:

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm working with our trip planner on when we can do it.