Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those who've smoked a 700r4....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by or2play, Aug 22, 2004.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Those who\'ve smoked a 700r4....

If you've had a 700 crap out on you I need some info from ya. If you know, what was it that broke or gave out. Details are good if you have them. Did the clutches burn up or something phyiscally break? Also if you know the cause that help too. Looking for trends or commonlarities (sp?) before I start building the 700 on the front porch. Don't ask way, not looking to start a debate here. Just need your info. Thanks a bunch. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Re: Those who\'ve smoked a 700r4....

Mine quit on me. There is a little nub on the shift band that gets pressed against to tighten the band to shift into second. That nub had busted off the band. The band itself was burnt black. The frictions were shot. A pressure plate had a crack in it and was about to become two pressure plates.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I've broken 5. I don't know what it was exactly that went but can guess.

Clutches burned in 2nd and reverse on one. Both slipped.

I know the sunsheild is a major problem too.

Heat is a BIG killer of 700R4's along with TV cables that aren't adjusted right. Add a BIG cooler or 2 BIG coolers and an external filter to help keep everything cool. I was going to add another large cooler to my grill in the near future but my transmission died Friday night.

Harley

4. hot rod

hot rod Registered Member

Not a 700 but a 4l60e. Had the rear planet break. I had a small Chevy tie rod castle nut tack welded in upside down and used a factory chevy drain plug on trans pan.Every oil change I pulled the plug on the tranny and added 4 new qts.Soft parts could have been reused,just planet gear failure.Upgraded to a "beast" sun shell and 5 gear planetarys, vette servo, and a little over sized fluid solinoid. trans shifts snug now.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

reverse clutches, rear planet had the tabs for the frictons wear off. 3-4 clutches, sun shell broke splines off in 4L60E, pump case cracked.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I busted some plantaries on the first one I broke too now that I think about it.

Harley

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I nuked the weak sungear case on one, and blew out the output shaft splines on another.

8. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

I smoked the clutches. It was a 2wd and i was in overdrive going about 110mph in a chev pickup. I backed out when it caught on fire. The factory vent on the trans points at the exhaust and when the fluid got hot it sprayed the exhaust and caught fire. It made it home when i put the fire out but the next morning all the forward gears slipped and I had no reverse. I got it fixed under warranty then about 2 weeks later the torque converter started knocking so they had to replace that too. After that I kept it under a 100 and had no problems.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Lets see, first one the pump blew up, second one the 3-4 clutches and the band.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pump or planetary
    I think shrapnel from the planetary took out the pump
    fluid and filter change revealed gear teeth in the sump
    ran it until pump packed it in

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

First time mine went down it was the 3-4 clutchs
    Second time, the servo was put in backward exploded (after about 6000miles), 3-4 clutchs again
    Third time I paid $750 for a rebuild and got a warrenty, new everything, corvett servo 1-2 clutchs, truck HD 3-4 clutchs, vet shift kit... Now I need to replace my ujoints /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I run a filter going into the stock radiator cooler then out to a BIG tranny cooler in the front.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im pretty sure on the one I blew the Servo and the clutchs went out, cuz it doesnt want to shift right away and then when it does it slips like crazy. Reverse is completely gone.

13. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Humm, mine lost reverse, and you hsd to stomp on it to go into 1st. All I know it cost $1500 to R&R it. But the guy put Corvette clutches in it & gave it a 3 year warrenty. I've beat the snot out of it with no problems.

14. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine quit on me. There is a little nub on the shift band that gets pressed against to tighten the band to shift into second. That nub had busted off the band. The band itself was burnt black. The frictions were shot. A pressure plate had a crack in it and was about to become two pressure plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

really??? maybe thats y mine skips 2nd gear??? gotta check that out, any way of looking at that without taking it all apart.. where is that part located? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well, first one had the pump die while I was doing +65mph on the highway. Took out most of the bands. Glazed all the clutches. Second one, let a friend borrow the truck while I went away on vacation. WATER= burnt bands and 2nd/3rd act as one gear. Third one, I broke the planetary "cage". Got a TCI and worked for me for the about 18k miles, till I parked the truck for "modifications". I finally broke the motor /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Depending on what year Truck/Trans you have can vary which unit you have.If this is the original trans and you have a 87 or later truck, you should be dealing with a 30 spline unit with the auxilary valvebody.
    Some parts you should definatly upgrade to are:
    --extra wide, kevlar 2-4 band
    --install a new reverse drum(the 2-4 band rides on this drum)
    --heavy duty 3-4 cluchpack kit ( doubles the friction material surface in the 3-4 drum )
    --If you dont have it already upgrade the pump to a 10 vain from the 7 vain
    --install a corvette inner servo for the 2-4 band
    --and a mild shift kit should do the trick
    along with all new gaskets, seals ,cluches and so on.

Now you can also upgrade these items but they are not 100% nessesary unless you are running some serious hp.
    --A Beast outer sun shell for the front planetary.
    --13 vain pump upgrade kit
    --A late model corvette (4l65e) rear 5 pinion planetary

Now 1 last thing you have to consider is if you are goin to run a lock up torque converter or not.If you are you NEED to make sure lock up is operating correctly or you will burn up the tranny ( While in overdrive the transmission cooling system flow is rerouted to operate lockup. so if it doesnt come on you only get a 1/3rd of the flow thru the cooler you are supose 2). Now if you want to bypass these problems you can always run a non lock up converter but you have to install a after market lockup valve in the trans so it can reroute the fluid flow in over drive.pm me with any other questions... Im sure i can lend a hand.I am curently runing a 700r4 in my chevelle with all said upgrades along with a 3500 stall converter, z-pak 1 sided clutches and a full manual reverse pattern valve body.(15-20 10 second runs behind a supercharged bigblock along with 3 years of street duty) And of coarse one in my blazer with all said upgrades, a 1400 stall converter, racing shift kit. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Mine broke the rings in the pump, which sent metal through the whole trans, ruined the pump case and made it not shift right from lack of pressure. The torque converter also had crap coming from it. I am not sure which one went first.

I also had a fire once, which was fixed by upgrading to the locking dipstick.

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Only 700 we've had go bad was a bad pump.. Sent stuff through the tranny like above....

To people with the 3-4 clutches going out, are you running the stock lock-up convertor with either the stock comp shifting into OD or a switch shifting? If you get a lock-up model, you will burn up OD(4th clutches) without locking it up when in OD...

19. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone, this is just what I was looking for.

20. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

how about your idiot friend dropping it from a shelf at the parts store and cracking the whole thing? does that count? lol. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif