Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those with 38's and a 700-R4.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Aug 6, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Those with 38\'s and a 700-R4.....

....what gear ratio are you running and can you use your overdrive? All the gear calculators I've used said 4:10's would be good but I dunno. I want to keep it a daily driver also. What gear ratio are you guys running?

Thanks
    Ross

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Re: Those with 38\'s and a 700-R4.....

I at one time ran 38's and a 700R4 but with 4.56 gears and it was just fine. 4.10's may be a little to high but I think it should be ok. You may see the 700R4 kick out of overdrive a bit more. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on running 700r4 with 5.13's and 39.5 boggers. Acording to the numbers, its pretty close to my 4.10's and 31 inch tires.

4. Re: Those with 38\'s and a 700-R4.....

I have a TH700R4 and ran 4:88's with 38's for the past two years and ran 44's with 4:56 before that. Got a Burb too so I have more weight and burned up a couple of trannies running the 44's with 4:56's. No prob with 38's and the 4:88's, but the tranny is built up now !!

5. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

I agree with bigburb 4.88 and 38" tires. I'll probably only have my 4.10 in when I put on 38's but I will change them to 4.88 when I get the chance.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i dont have a 700r4 but if it was me i would run 4:88's

7. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

how do all of your 700r4 hold up to those meats?
    Im thinking of having one built and ready for when my stock th350 goes out.
    What mods would you all do to the 700 to make it withstand big meats and torque

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple">I ran 38" swampers for about 4 years as a dailey driver and as a pretty serious trail rig. My 700r4 has lived the whole time. I did have built up before I added the 14 bolt. All they did was run a vetter servo and a little heavier setup (i beleieve that is the term my tranny guy) with the clutches. I have run a heavy duty tranny cooler since day one. I have always had a gauge on my tranny so I can make sure that on the trails in the midle of summer I know when my tranny is getting hot.

I run 5.13 gears by the way... I havealways been able to cruise on the highway just fine and fuke milage was pretty good. Understand that I have never been a speed demon so my average speed on the hihway has always been around 70 or so.

I will say this, I have heard bad things about the strength of the 700R4. I have no problems with mine. I credit that to a couple of things.

#1 The first build up I ever di on mytruck was up grade the cooling system. I pulled the original radiator and went to a 4core unit from a big block. When I put it in I had the Radiator stripped and rebuilt. I completly emptied all the old fluid out of the block before I reinstalled the new radiator. When I put the new one in I used distelled water , REDLINE WATER WETTER, and a little Antifreeze. I also installed a 160 degree thermastat. My motor never, EVER runs above 195 and that is on a very hot day when cruising on the highway, but that is very rare. On the trail it never runs above 170.

I run the tranny through the radiator and through a heavy duty cooler. It keeps it very very cool. It has always been my understanding that heat is an automatic transmission's worst enemy. I have doen all that I can to keep mine cool since I had it rebuilt and I beleive that is why it has stood up to the test of time, and to the amount of abuse that I have put it through. </font color>