Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those with 4x4 Iron rock sliders....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Nov 28, 2003.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they replace the rocker panel right?
    i would like so see a pic of them from the top with the door open and from the bottom under the cab. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yes they replace the whole rocker....

I do not have pics for you, but stashed in the members rides there are examples of theirs and also home fabbed versions....

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sorry, no pics with door open, but here's the underside. I can take some of the door open, but I think the 4x4iron website had some good ones that showed the procedure too, so might be of more help than mine, as they are already painted.

[​IMG]

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thanks, i guess i missed that one there web site. well i seen what i wanted to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you do a good job when you cut out the old rockers and weld in the new slider you will never know from the top that it isn't the factory door seal. I saw Toby's (Moneypit) truck that has the sliders (installed by Tim at 4x4 Iron) and you can't tell that the door seal has been cut out and a slider welded in.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I spoke to Tim about how he got that seamless look, and they had to use filler. When you cut the rocker out and weld the slider in, there's a height difference of maybe 1/8 inch. You could either fill that with filler, welding in a small top plate to fit in the gap across the top of the slider between the cuts, or (like with one side of my sliders) don't cut the top plate of the rocker, cut the outer edge and weld along the outer edge then on the underside inner so the top plate is still factory.

I have one done with the top plate still on and one with the cuts they way they show on the website but with a plate cut in to fit the gap. Functionally no difference, but neither one has filler.