Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those with DSL or cable and routers...anyone with SBC?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jan 19, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

What routers are you using? Good or bad?
    People with SBC DSL, good or bad?

I've been looking for cable or DSL or broadband for a couple years now, SBC finally said they can get here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I order it today... DIALUP SUCKS! Hopefully never again (after the 27th) :fingerscrossed:

2. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Good luck getting it. I was told by SBC that it was available here then after almost a month of trying to get it they told me i was 175 feet too far from the repeater. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

we have a linksys cable router. had three comp hocked to the internet at the smae time and couldn't tell a difference in speed

cable kicks a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had SBC for a month, it was so bad I stuck with AOL. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I have had SBC DSL for over a year no with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I had it with 3 computers hooked up on a router, two computers, and just mine and never noticed any speed differences, no matter what everyone else was doing. I won't go back to dial up again!

Kris

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got SBC and I like it. Ive had no problems.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have SBC and no problems.

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck getting it. I was told by SBC that it was available here then after almost a month of trying to get it they told me i was 175 feet too far from the repeater. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats basically what I'm expecting to happen /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

i had sbc dsl
    get a netgear router
    i still use my netgear with RR

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I have SBC DSL, a Linksys router 4 computers hooked up right now, going to add a wireless hub here in the near future so I can use my laptop too without plugging it in.

The only problem I have with SBC is on some occasions they seem to really slow or completely disconnected even though I'm showing an active link.
    For the most part though it's nice and fast, they do however like to sell your email address (sbcglobal address) so you get slamed with spam. I don't utilize that account so it's not a problem for me.
    It's a little pricey, but it's the only high speed I could get in my area.

Go figure, I had a fiber line to my computer in rural NE, but can't get but DSL in metro Columbus!

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have had SBC since it was Pac bell and have never looked back...It might be my location but I have ALWAYS had VERY fast speeds..(just a dam slow area computer..lol)My down loads are always around 1.427 and my uploads are about 285. whatever

I have a westell wirespeed modem...

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

175 feet will make no difference...if you are straight copper, you need to be within 17K ft...that distance will vary depending on the gauge of the cable (standard is 24ga)...some cable nearer to town is 26ga, and some further out is 22... another variable is "bridge" or branches either the cable continues past your house and cannot be cut off, or it branches down another leg (alley, street, etc) before it gets to you...a short piece of "extra" wire is worse than a long one (causes the digital signal to "echo" back on itself)...All of those "bridged " conditions described can be dealt with...I've seen DSL work at 18.5K...and fall on its azz at 17040ft (because of bridge tap)...SBC can do a test from your house to determine length (they put a short at the Central Office and measure Ohms)...they also have cable maps showing where the cable goes and if it multiples (goes somewhere else also which would describe bridge tap)...

Option 2...if you are on a Pair Gain system (SLC96, Series 5, DiscS)...DSL may not be supported...in a Series 5 system (very common) a very new technology is being tested in some areas (Catena)...it requires a fiber fed Series 5 since the DSL signal rides a DS3 while Voice uses one of the T1 feeders to the subscriber shelf....these are being deployed in test areas currently Houston and Little Rock as far as I know....

Option 3....if you work off a Remote Terminal as described above, and the system is UMC1000 or LiteSpan, then either of those will support DSL within the 17Kft rule as it applies to straight copper...ASI is the SBC entity that supports DSL, but SBC Cable repair can give you Much more info on the type and condition of the cable in your area....Most Cable repair guys are quite friendly and knowledgeable...All have IFD (yellow laptop) from which they can pull up cable info and run quick tests on your line...the service is free although it may require a Trouble report in order for the tech to have something to charge his time to (varies by area rules, country guys are usually under less restrictions).....if you do not have an answer to your satisfaction, ask for the Supervisor (Cable) to call you back....if you have any further questions, write down the numbers (measurement) they give you and PM me...I'll help you make sense of it all.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just reread your post ...there is no "repeater" on a voice line, so the statement that "175ft past the repeater" is BS......"Repeaters" which are actually regenerators are found only on Conventional T1 and are placed every 6000 ft to filter, regenerate and boost the T1 signal.....Doublers serve the same function on 4 wire HDSL but their placement is different...2 wire HDSL has no Doublers, and Conklin cannot support DSL....

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    175 feet will make no difference...if you are straight copper, you need to be within 17K ft...that distance will vary depending on the gauge of the cable (standard is 24ga)...some cable nearer to town is 26ga, and some further out is 22... another variable is "bridge" or branches either the cable continues past your house and cannot be cut off, or it branches down another leg (alley, street, etc) before it gets to you...a short piece of "extra" wire is worse than a long one (causes the digital signal to "echo" back on itself)...All of those "bridged " conditions described can be dealt with...I've seen DSL work at 18.5K...and fall on its azz at 17040ft (because of bridge tap)...SBC can do a test from your house to determine length (they put a short at the Central Office and measure Ohms)...they also have cable maps showing where the cable goes and if it multiples (goes somewhere else also which would describe bridge tap)...

Option 2...if you are on a Pair Gain system (SLC96, Series 5, DiscS)...DSL may not be supported...in a Series 5 system (very common) a very new technology is being tested in some areas (Catena)...it requires a fiber fed Series 5 since the DSL signal rides a DS3 while Voice uses one of the T1 feeders to the subscriber shelf....these are being deployed in test areas currently Houston and Little Rock as far as I know....

Option 3....if you work off a Remote Terminal as described above, and the system is UMC1000 or LiteSpan, then either of those will support DSL within the 17Kft rule as it applies to straight copper...ASI is the SBC entity that supports DSL, but SBC Cable repair can give you Much more info on the type and condition of the cable in your area....Most Cable repair guys are quite friendly and knowledgeable...All have IFD (yellow laptop) from which they can pull up cable info and run quick tests on your line...the service is free although it may require a Trouble report in order for the tech to have something to charge his time to (varies by area rules, country guys are usually under less restrictions).....if you do not have an answer to your satisfaction, ask for the Supervisor (Cable) to call you back....if you have any further questions, write down the numbers (measurement) they give you and PM me...I'll help you make sense of it all.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just reread your post ...there is no "repeater" on a voice line, so the statement that "175ft past the repeater" is BS......"Repeaters" which are actually regenerators are found only on Conventional T1 and are placed every 6000 ft to filter, regenerate and boost the T1 signal.....Doublers serve the same function on 4 wire HDSL but their placement is different...2 wire HDSL has no Doublers, and Conklin cannot support DSL....

[/ QUOTE ]

Se habla English? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a Linksys router and had it on my SBC DSL. I actually have a spare router too, I upgraded to wireless last year and got a router with the receiver built in.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have linksys router too and am on verizon's better DSL, it works good, more than the cable we were just on not too long ago, this DSL is actually faster for us

www.thebandwidthplace.com

what is dialup ? wasnt that like eight years ago or something ? hahahahaha

15. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

I've heard some shifty things about SBC. All my friends have trouble with it. But if they're the only people that will come out I'd go for it anyway to see what it's like in your area.

16. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I've been looking for cable or DSL or broadband for a couple years now, SBC finally said they can get here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I order it today... DIALUP SUCKS! Hopefully never again (after the 27th) :fingerscrossed:

[/ QUOTE ]

I had SBC DSL for 8 months. Then switched to cable which was so much faster!
    I also had a Linksys 8 port DSL/Cable Router too and a Linksys 24 port hub as well.

17. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had SBC DSL for 8 months. Then switched to cable which was so much faster!
    I also had a Linksys 8 port DSL/Cable Router too and a Linksys 24 port hub as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'd be back on cable in a heartbeat... unless the cable provider has really crappy lines cable is faster without a shadow of a doubt (I use to install them too). But alas Insight says there is not enough of a market to install it in a town of 40K people where (untill recently) the only ISP was dialup... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

(I dont include wirelessDSL or satilite since both are $80 a month and range from $600-1000 for equipment and setup) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif