Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those with eletrical knowledge, please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jul 21, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok i ran to the store this morning. and i passed by a store with big glass windows and i noticed in my reflection that my brake lights were not working.
    the tail lights work. but not my brake lights..
    i then noticed that my turn signals were not working.

but all other lights work...headlights, marker lights, high beams, tail lights, license plate lights..

so when i get to the store i'm going to, i look under my dash and my 20amp stop lamp fuse is blown, and my 15amp turn signal fuse is blown.

i by new fuses and replace them. i put in the new brake light fuse and press the brake pedal by hand and watch the fuse instantly blow.
    i replace the turn signal fuse, turn on my blinker, and i get one blink and then the turn signal fuse blows.

now i went over every wire under the dashboard, and then poped my hood and traced every light wire, bumper to bumper, fender to fender. and i did not notice any damaged wires..

all i have at my disposal at this time is a simple test light. is there a tip, or trick, or any way that i might be able to figure out what is causeing this with a test light?

any other ideals?

i'm finishing up cleaning my place and moving out, so i will only be able to check in every now and then for another couple hours or so..then i won't have access to a computer for a while.

i hope someone can help me out with this.

thanks

1982 k-5..

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If I am thinking right, TS and brake lights both operate off "bright element of the bulbs. I would bet on a bad socket myself.Put just a TS fuse in and try the signals. If left works and right blows the fuse, then you have isolated the problem to the right side. If you have a multi-meter, test for continuity between the contact points in the socket and vehicle ground. Meters are cheap, I have two and the cheapest one was like 11 bucks. Good luck.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Do you have connections for a trailer?
    I had the exact thing happen to me.Same fuses blowing.All the wiring checked out fine.
    I checked the trailer harness,and unplugged it from my factory wiring(it's one of those in-line,plug and play harnessess).
    Thing's worked perfectly after that.I had a short in the trailer harness.

Hope that help you out.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had blown fuses on my brake and turns. Enved up being the trailer I was hooked to had a short

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It could be a short in your steering column also. If i'm not mistaken, the brake light runs through there and it could be pinched or cut somewhere in there. Ckeck the harness that plugs like 9 wires on your column. What ever you do, dont end up putting a higher rated fuse in there. I did that to my brake fuse and melted one wire that destroyed all the wires aroud it. Had to rewire the entire truck.... it sucked. I know this sounds like common sense, but I have enough sense to build a freakin truck in my driveway by myself and I still put in like a 20 or 25 fuse. One good thing about nearly burning my truck down is that everything electrical works great. I also know how to rewire my truck and am familiar with all the wires in my dash, so it wasn't all bad.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exact same problem I had.

7. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Remove both brake light bulbs, then test both contacts in both sockets for continuity to ground.