Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those with FlexPlate problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Nov 7, 2002.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I just got my new SFI certified flexplate I ordered from CAT . This thing actually looks better than some of the name brand plates I researched. It is twice as thick as the stock flexplate so hopefully I wont break this one. Anyway, just wanted to pass this on what I found. Oh, and for $63 ($55 + Shipping) shipped to my door, it was a lot cheaper than the others, as well.
    I also bought an aluminum water pump from them and so far it has been great. They make a lot of stuff for later model Chevy's where it seems the market is very limited. ie Aluminum water pump for a reverse rotation, serpentine belted 350.
    I bought everything through Gambardella and they have had excellent service and great prices...
    [​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looks alot like the Summit house brand SFI flexplates. I got this one for my 454 for $56:

[​IMG]

SFI approved flexplates have to have a minimum thickness, which is much thicker than a stock one. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I looked at those, but they didn't make one for my application. I checked summits brand of flexplates and I think they misprinted the thickness of the plate. It is listed as .35" thicker than stock. I think they mean .035" thicker than stock like the TCI plates. Stock thinkness is about .075". The CAT flexplates are .15" that is twice as thick or .075" thicker than factory.
    Anyway, I amagine the .11" thickness of the plate is more than enough. I just go overboard sometimes when that option is available... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I noticed that Summit doesn't list one for small blocks with the one-piece rear main seal. They must not see enough demand for 'em yet. I got out the caliper and checked mine, it's .150 inch thick also. The SFI specs are pretty specific, so they're probably all made that thickness. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Cool, Thanks for the info!