Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those with Gov locked 14ff......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 4, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My last few wheelin trips I have not been able to get the rear to lock up. I have an ARB in the front and usually cannot get enough wheel spin to get the rears to lock when the front is. Now my ? is do you guys have the same prob. I know I need to get a Detroit. but my bud said it should be locking up???? Anyways I can get up the obstacles, it's just that I have to pull my big fat arse over rather than getting a little push from the rear /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes i do so im puttin a detroit /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My bud Darrel says you can modify Gov locks by removing the springs on them and they act just like a reg locker. Has anyone done this w/ the 14ff. He did it with a 10 bolt in his front axle.....

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

the 14bff gov-lok is a strange breed, just welded mine up. It has a weird mechanism for engaging the clutches and even if you got it permanently engaged, it still uses clutch packs, so its not really locked.

Also the way the gov-lok works is when one wheel spins at a higher rate ( ithink 200rpm difference) it starts to engage the clutches and as the one wheel slips more the more it engages. When I took mine apart the mechanism was trashed so mine was not working at all. Point is that is there is enough power to spin one rear tire there is enough to start engaging the gov-lok...if its workin /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes, i have this problem all of the time, i simply apply the brake to load up the rear end, and basically power brake enough to where i can still move, usually i can get them both to spin when doing this, it also works on an open diff as well. Though not as well as an actual locker, but it helps out. I have had people watch this happen when one tire would spin, hit the brake, both grabbed, they were kind of suprised.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

probley snapped the teeth off the gov lock pin making it not spin around to lock-in, I had a 12bolt do that