Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those with ram assist?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncgamedog, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

i have a ram assist on my recently finished rig. the system conssists of a ported box from west texas, stock pump, and 2" implement ram. those with similar setups, what mods were nessisary or gave the best results to your pump? my ram is a little slow and i have to drive to the trail so it must improve for on road safety. thanks -justin

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A 2" ram is generally considered too slow for the street. I don't think you will be able to do much to make it faster.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I don't know why you guys say they are too slow for the street?---I mean, if we are driving it like a porsche weaving in and out of those orange cones then yes they are too slow, but we are not (or shouldn't be). Even on a worse case senario and an emergency change mine is fast enough. I will say they are too slow for the fast desert running, like around 65 and consistantly turning left and right but it's just something you have to plan ahead about.

Back to the ? at hand---The reason it feels slower is because of the ram and your only upgrades are to bore out the output on the pump (I can't remember the size but its on WTO website) and stretch the spring. Real simple and easy to do. If you still feel it is too slow you need to think about a smaller ram. Rule of thumb--The smaller the ram the less turning power it has but the faster it turns--The bigger the ram the more turning power but the slower it turns. when I get stuck between a rock and a hard place the rock will move when I turn the wheel.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a 1.75" ram and I personally would not go bigger. I have also done the mods to the pump that WTO has on their site and mine steers fine on the road. Like Scoobs said I do not drive it like a porsche so that might be part of it. I also have Hydro-boost and have no problems with the extra flow and pressure from the pump.

Ira

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

...Good point regarding size comparision SIZE DOES MATTER:haha: :haha: :haha: !!

7. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

So would a 1.5 ram be good for me and my aggressive driving.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, i recently had to make a VERY FAST lane change and my 1.5" ram allowed me to do so QUICKLY. :D This lane change was made so quickly that one rear tire left the pavement and put some brown in my shorts. :eek1:

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Now thats a sig line quote right there

10. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

i have done no pump mods, and run a 1.75x8 PSC ram. Only time i catch up with the ram is on a panic turn. It turns very quick the first direction, but trying to switch the opposite way so fast its a quick fight. Went through a street sign when i first figured that out. Im sure alot of it would go away if i got to the pump mods.

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a 1.5" ram on the road it scared the hel out of me one day when I mounted the sidewalk coming out of a junction. I took it straight off! I seem to have had more trouble with mine than most here, but take it easy until yo get used to your final set up.

12. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I had to learn to drive mine a little different. I have the 1.75 ram. My fist experience was hammering the throttle at the carwash with wet tires. I just about put it in the wall as the ass end came around and i couldn't back steer fast enough.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Same exact thing happened to me.

You won't ever be able to dart into a parking spot. You can speed it up, and will have to learn to throttle into slow tunrs (higher RPM keeps the flow up).