Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

those with rear tube bumpers looky...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncgamedog, Dec 1, 2005.

1. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

i am starting my 78 k5 build. bought a nice stocker and a parts truck for the tons and other dodads. i just pulled my stock bumpers and there are these funky looking frame horns that dip down under there. i was aiming to build a tube bumper that would fit nice and tight along the tailgate, but those things stick out 5 inches. going to trim the bottom of the rear quarters by fallowing the tailgate line around the corner. what do you guys do just wack the ends of the frame off even with the gate? or at least right b4 the frame dips at the end?pics would be cool (non member) or a good explaination would suffice thanks - justin

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Justin I sold a bumper to Deleroy on CK5 and he did exactly what you explained. My bumpers bolt into the factory locations and he chopped I believe four inches off the frame and drilled some new holes.

Maybe he will see this post and chime in. I have one small piture of his bumper mounted on my website, but its not that good of a shot of what you want.

Jesse

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I cut about 4 inches off the rear ones. It was to mount a 4X4 Iron rear bumper.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just chop the butt end off... I took about a foot off mine.

j