Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those with Thorley headers & single exhaust...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

How is the clearance on the crossover pipe? I have just the headers now with dual exhaust.
    [​IMG]

But I need to get the crossover and single exhaust to make the truck emissions legal. So I'm going to get the crossover for these headers
    [​IMG]

They also make a crossover for 4-6" of lift. Wonder what the benefit is?
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I would be interested in pics of the crossover/y-pipe. And any words of wisdom.

2. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have to crossover pipe for the 4-6" lift with my Thorleys. The driveshaft clearance is fine, but the problem is the ground clearance. It hung down to low for my liking, so I chopped it up and made it higher. I also put a 1/4" skidplate under it to keep rocks from penetrating it. I'll try and get some pics.

3. mrk5

Thanks for the reply.:D Pics would be appreciated along with a description of what you changed.:o

Maybe I should steer away from the one for the lift. Especially since I only have a 2.5" lift now with plans to only add another 1"-1.5".

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I put thorleys on my '73 and had an exhaust shop make me a custom crossover that crosses behind the transfer case, up over the driveshaft. You can't really tell from the photos, but there is plenty of clearance, it will neve hit, no matter how far the rear end bottoms. I did dual 2 1/2" back to a 3" y with a Flowmaster 50. I am smog exempt, so I don't run a Cat, and it's too loud inside the cab for my taste, but the exhaust routing sure is sweet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mrk5

Nice.:thumb: I can see in the pic from the rear that you have plenty of clearance.

I've thought of having an exhaust shop do the crossover/y-pipe. But it looks like there wouldn't be room for a cat with that setup. I've really only seen a cat on one blazer, and they are freakin' huge. Maybe I should run just the cat w/no muffler.:thinking:

6. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I have an 89 K5 with a set of Doug thorley try y headers that came with the stock height y pipe but the mufler shop bent it to clear the front drive shaft and it has no problem with clearance. It sounds awsome. :k5:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much lift you running? Did you bend it over the top of the shaft or lower it? I am having y-pipe issues. Thanks.

8. mrk5

I don't have the y-pipe yet, so maybe if it will work I would be better off doing something like mofugly13 has.:thinking:

9. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

Doug Thorly headesrs

I have an 8 1/2 " over stock lift and the Y pipe is bent under the drive shaft but fairly close to it. :k5:

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

My flowmaster 50 is a pretty long muffler, I think a 40 is shorter. My exhaust dumps right behind the rear axle, so there actually is a bit more room available to try to fit a cat in if you want to dump farther back and use a shorter muffler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]