Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Those with TR bead locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Mar 24, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know there are a few of you out there running the Trail Ready Bead Locks...

How do you like them so far? Any problems with loose bolts? Do any of you run em on the street (aside from Steve's store run in the snow...LOL)

Rene

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I am wondering this too, I was considering the hummer wheels but the cost comes to around 800.00 and that is really close to the trail ready bead lock's cost, it just make more since to buy a finished no hassel product that someone has in stock already. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

Me thinks you and I were just doing the same math problem... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

My other concern is getting hassled by Johnny Law, but if I got TR's I'd paint the lock ring black same as the rim...so it wouldn't be as noticeable unless you really looked and you really knew what exactly you were looking at.

Rene

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Don't have them personally, but from what I've heard on the PBB their quality has gone down hill. Also have heard of long lead times when ordering them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. supersize75

[ QUOTE ]
    Also have heard of long lead times when ordering

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true for the hummer wheels as well though.Also I don't believe the bead locks are illegal every where, just because they arn't dot approved does't mean they are illegal, but that is what I have heard in AZ. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Besides the TR look bad arse in my opinion

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IIRC Willyswanter waited for over 6 months for a single TR wheel. Finally cancelled the order and got the Hummer wheels instead. My hummer wheel order is going on 4 weeks now, they should be here in another week or two. The first order took about 6 weeks. </font>

7. supersize75

that puts thing in a new perspective /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Renee,
    I found 5 complete hummer wheels for ~ $300 including shipping (if I remember right), and new centers for $250 (including shipping) and I modified the wheels myself. Now, with your skills, you could definately do the same and have no worries...much cheaper than TR's...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBoss

9. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I've had my TR's for almost two years now with no problems. No leaks, and no loose bolts. I used bb's to balance them, and they ride OK on the street with 42's though I don't really drive it on the street much anymore. The rings hold up to a lot of abuse, and I have not had any problems with loosing a bead so far at 8 psi.

Overall I'm pretty happy with mine. I had to wait about 5 weeks for the wheels. The quality was really good with mine too. But, this was a long time ago before all of the quality complaints. I would still give them a try though.

BIGJ

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

WARNING!!! Personal Opinion Follows WARNING!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1. I think they're ugly.

2. It seems to me that if you do much mud running with that wide ring, you're gonna have a hard time cleaning the mud out of the wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think the TRs are pretty ugly too. The rings are just way too bling bling for my tastes. I'd much rather get Rockstomper beadlocks with the countersunk bolts. </font>

12. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As to the street legal thing your more likely to get the cop to believe the Hummers are street legal because it has "DOT PATENT #...." stamped right on the ring. And as for quality control I don't know, but... buddy of mine just ordered a set of TRs and one of them was cracked and leaked air at where they welded the ring on. He had to have it welded and is waiting for a new one. And that was brand spanking new.

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Personally, I would go with the Hummer wheels. I haven't checked into TR's too much, but from my understanding they are only locked on one side, as opposed to the Hummer's being locked on both sides. I know blowing the rear bead, but it can happen. That's the only reason I'm going with Hummer wheels when I get the truck built.

14. senavader

senavader Registered Member

I'm with BIGJ, I've had my TR's for 18 months. I have to admit they took alot longer than expected, but well worth the wait. I've been pretty hard on them, the rings take a beating and I run between 7- 10 psi on 16.5s and havent lost a bead. They are not designed for mudd, or street use, even though you can run them where ever want. I do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i'll let you know as soon as i receive mine. i placed my order on the 12th of this month, so i'm going on my 2nd week.

i dealt with Chris Corbit at TR just because of the quality reasons and asked him about what was going on. he assured me that quality has gotten better and lead times are not as long as before.

One thing that i liked is that he stands 100% behind his wheels. He also told me that if there wheels weren't up to par that he will refund my money.

not to sure what wheel you had in mind, but when i placed my order he had 15x10 eight lug ready to ship.. i went for some 15x12s. (planning on some 44s /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

16. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I've got 15x12's with 44 boggers and Im happy with mine - they have taken some good beatings and held up well in the rocks, they suck to clean mud out of, and Ive run them down to 3 PSI in the sand with no problems. At the swap meet a couple weeks ago TR was there with deals on blemishes, and they had some standard sizes in stock now for reasonable prices. I had to wait a couple months for mine because the 12" shells were a special order item and they wound up being a larger diameter so Chris ended up giving me the H/D centers they use in the 17's and 20's for the price I was quoted (they are usually a $50 upcharge apiece). I was happy with their service personally, especially after the fiasco with my beadlocks from another dealer before them ( right BOSS, i saw you chiming in up there). The Hummers are definitely cool the way they are constructed and work, plus you dont have to grind calipers with them, they are just a little narrow for a 20"tire.

17. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have been rolling on the TRs and 37 MTRs for one week today. i have about 700 miles on them. i have tourqued them 3 times. out of those 3 times only 1 bolt was about 2 foot lbs under where it was supposed to be. the rest were perfect. i takes about 7 min to do all 4 wheels. so when i buy fuel i walk aroung the truk while shes filling up. they ride super smooth on the street. havent actually done any real wheeling yet but hopefully next weekend. my plan if the heat pulls me over is to be like "arn't my rims cool? they look just like the real thing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif" the bonus here is that most cops are clueless. i like em, and i think the extra matinence is worth the benifets(sp)

18. tRustyK5

Thanks for all the feedback fella's! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm still undecided, I have an idea of how much I'll be able to spend before Blazer Bash and like everyone I have a wish list. I don't mind the look of the TR's, but I would definitely paint the ring black. I avoid mud when possible anyways so that isn't really an issue.

Rene

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Another option that I didn't think of earlier is Avalanche beadlocks. THey are a few dollars more that TR's(which the are made by TR), but they have 3/8" button head bolts and I believe they sounter sunk..

Over at POR there are alot of guys using high Impact/Allied and really like them... Lance is running them..

Also, what about Rockstomper and some of these side companies that are building them?

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You could just beadlock your rims! Thats what I did. I went with the "Bling Bling" wide ring look. I really dont care if they are hard to clean out - My truck's not a show truck so cleanliness is not a worry. I've ran mine without any balance weight on the rims.

The killer thing about welding on your own Beadlocks is, if you ever have problems with sealing or bolt breakage on the trail, I can just roll my bead back onto the original bead which is untouched. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Go Rockstomper or have a fab shop build them like I did. I can get the drawings that I designed in AutoCad if you need them.