Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thought i could use a mechanical Fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, Dec 4, 2000.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I bought a 350 out of a 98 suburban, converted it to a carb, and was expecting to be able to use a mechanical fuel pump because when i pulled the blockoff plate off i there was a hole for the push rod, well i went to put a push rod in, only to find out that the hole was a little more then an inch deep, and i needed a electric pump. Does anyone have any suggestions, for where i could get an inline fuel pump for a reasonable price. Alls i've been able to find are racing pumps, which usually start over a 100$, anythoughts would be appreciated.

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Have you checked summits catalog, I have a jegs here and you can get a carter fuel pumper for 69.99 or a holly for 84.99. Don't know if I would want to go for a no name brand from somewhere. I am sure you get what you pay for.

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You can usually get a pump like this from a local car parts store. Not sure if you'll find anything name brand and I can't speak for the quality, but it shouldn't be very hard to find. People use no-name mechanical pumps all the time, I'm not sure if it's any different for inline electric. Just make sure you get a low-pressure one and not an EFI pump.

"All right...who keeps squirting this oil in my driveway?"

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You really want an in-tank pump if you can manage to get the correct sending unit... Otherwise you will need something that can supply 60 psi, and for a good external one you're looking at $300. Don't mess with the cheap crap, it doesn't last very long.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get a pressure regulator because carbs only take about 6 psi and an elct. pump puts out alot more psi for fuel injection.

[​IMG] SMP

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

How about a holley red pump. it comes with a regulator. don't set the PSI more than 9, If you have a holley on top you'll blow the needles out. I'd go with the recommended 6 PSI........and tell us how this motor swap and set-up goes along..............js

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HEEHEE, realsquash!!!!! When I read your first post I said "What the f*@k is he talking about?". Don't worry, I suffer from post-delivery brain malfunction- been stupid since I was born!!!!!!

I run a two-stage Carter electric pump back by the tank. I was having vapor-lock problems with my mechanical pump and a buddy suggested the electric alternative. I'm not sure what pressure it pumps at, but I haven't had a fuel problem since I installed it 6 years ago.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When you put in the electric fuel pump. Do not mount it any higher than the top of the fuel tank. And the closer to the tank you can put it the better. Most electric pumps push fuel out better than they suck it in so the lower you mount it the better.

10. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

perfect advice from thunder on the proper pump placement. Also consider a fuel filter before the pump. Like a fram unit. you want to keep the fuel clean before the pump......js

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I ran into this exact problem when I put in a '90 engine. One probelm I had is that I have a problem with fuel or something ever since the swap. I replaced everything: carb, intake, fuel pump(2), fuel line, fuel pressure reg, etc.
    I get a mis or a starvation/flooded symptom every once in a while. I replaced all those parts and it has made i better.
    I haven't been able to totally solve the problem, but it is liveable now and I am going to build a '75 350 soon and go back to a mechanical pump.
    I tried a Holley pump but it was a bad pump from the get go, so I went out and bought a cheapo from Auto ZOne made by Masters and it has worked fine ever since.
    I have talked to people on here, Summit, Jegs, engine builders and I cant fix that problem so who knows.. :)

At first I thought my prob was starvation, but then after a few runs I noticed black smoke from the pipes after a little while so that told me it was being flooded. So I got a pressure regulator and left it at 2.5 psi and it cured the problem mostly and I have lived with it so far.

Man this probably is terrible to read, sorry, I am at work and keep getting interrupted and I probably keep talking in circles! Sorry.

Good Luck and let me know what works for you!!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice, i decided to go with a Summit pump and regulator. It's adjustable between 5- 12 psi.I'm running a 750 quadrajet right now, is 6 psi a good setting for the regulator?