Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thought I would tell everyone I bought my big block today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Apr 16, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

1972 396 , in a 3/4 ton 2wd pick up . He said it was original , I dont know , but the numbers will tell . I will go drag it home this weekend . I'm ready to start the build of my next beast ! To bad my pocket book isn't /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    So all you 396 owners help me out on what to do and what not to do . I ran a post a week ago about building big blocks and alot of info came from everyone so now that I have what I'm going to build I can get a little more exact on the plans . Do the 396's have the cam oiling problems associated with 454 ? Also are they comfortable at .060 over ? The motor runs and is suppose to not use oil , we'll see . But 500.00 is to good of a deal for me to pass on here locally . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Sweet deal. I found getting a chevy high performance
    book on how to build BBC is a great place to start tells
    all the little ins and outs them you can modify to fit your needs.

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I bought a book called something like, "How to build Maximum Peformance Chevy Big Blocks". It's got a ton of good info, casting number stuff, engine math, and easy to understand tech columns that explain stuff real well. I think the book even says something about the 396 being able to support a 0.060" overbore, but no more. You could have the block cylinder walls sonic tested for thickness, then you would know how much to bore safely. But I wouldn't bore out a block the maximum amount right off the bat, because later down the road when you rebuild again, your block will be all bored out like an old whore! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm beginning my first big block engine project now, I've already done a bunch of research, and I just received my stroker crank kit from Speed-O-Motive, so I hope everything works out OK there. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I really lucked out, because the big block in my other truck was supposed to be a 402, and I just figured it was probably a plain jane 396. When I pulled the engine, the bores measured correct for a 402, but the block casting number identified it as a 454 block, along with other casting features, like crank throw clearances at the bottom of the cylinder bores. So I had the cyl walls sonic tested, and they were thick! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It turned out that I had a 454 block which was machined out for a smaller bore (402), so I decided to turn it into a 454! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, after pricing parts, and noticing stroker crank kits, it wasn't a whole lotta money to just go bigger, so I'm boring and stroking for a 489! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Good luck with yours!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[homervoice] Biiiigggg Bloooccck[/ homervoice]