Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thought it was cool now im the fool :-( any ideas ??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by doctor4x4, May 28, 2003.

1. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

so i go to the fuel station today and the high pressure pump was avaliable so i thought YEA !! excellent this will save me some time as i had used it 1 time before with no problems
    as this sucker pumps 30.00 bucks at 1.49 a gallon in about 20 seconds
    well today it Broke my Fuel Guage it wont register now at all
    i dont know if im empty or full ??? any ideads think it will fix its self ??? or do i gotta drop the tank ??
    Thanks
    MORAL OF THE STORY
    dont use the high speed pump just cause it fits in your neck
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

How do you figure this broke your sending unit?

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so i go to the fuel station today and the high pressure pump

[/ QUOTE ] Ive never seen one of those. What does your gauge read? Maybe its stuck, try the mileage thing for awhile and maybe it'll start working again.

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well when i drove into the station my guage was working and at 1/8 full and when i got in the burb to drive away aprox 20+ gallons more in the tank my needle was on E and hasnt recovered since i hope today
    and how i think it broke my sending unit
    i know it sounds hard 2 believe but if ya ever used 1 of these pumps before youd understand
    is the pressure is so strong it bent the little metal rod that hold's the floater or pushed the floater back behind the sock or something or knocked the floater clean off its post

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I honestly don't think the high speed pump broke your sender. Here's why: we used to have alot of CUCVs (still have a couple). CUCVs actually have a bigger fuel filler neck than a civilian K5/K30. The larger filler neck is necessatated by the Tank & Pump units (Fuel Pods) employed by the military. These units pump FAST! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I can't quote any GPH figures off the top of my head, but the nozzle opening is about 1.5" inches. They are the same whether you're filling trucks, tanks, or aircraft. CUCVs were even equipped with the smaller (26gal) fuel tanks. I don't ever remember broken fuel sender attributed to refueling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How empty was your tank? I once nearly ran my 6.2 dry and the next time I filled it up the gauge only went up to 1/3. Since then 1/3 has been the full mark and as the tank empties the gauge SLOWLY drops to E. I know it's not my sender because my 6.2 is in a pickup with dual tanks and the gauge reads the same for both tanks.

My theory is that by running the tank almost dry the needle got "stuck" and the gauge doesn't operate properly anymore.

So to make a long story short it might be worth checking the gauge before you start dropping fuel tanks.

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well the needle is moving today almost 3/ 4 of a tank in a sharpe right hand turn so i guess when i wann check my fill level ill just swerve right a few times:-) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    thanks for the feedback guys

8. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Hey, what year is your 'Burb? Just a Q, 'cause my gas 88 K5 had the fuel baffle break loose from the bottom of the tank and do 2 things (in Mexico, no less).

1- hung up my fuel level float
    2- blocked the intake for the fuel pump (this makes fuses go ker-plow, oh what fun!)

This was a known TSB, maybe applies to Diesel?

The baffle is held in using similar spring clips new trucks used to hold on the brake drums from the factory. You know, the ones the original owner cut off and threw away never to replace.

My fix was simple - two thread-on nuts like you would use on the back of your door panel on each pin, problem fixed, no new tank required.

Just a thought
    Eric D
    Buy my Blazer! See the For Sale Forum or http://www.lvmt.net/blazer.htm

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I doubt the pump did it. I used to fill up my Jetta at the high speed truck pumps. 15 gallon tank.
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken H.