Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thought it was tranny but its the rear end...Please Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khotmer, Oct 28, 2002.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

just bought a 79 blazer ........needs some tranny work......found a broken cable from the trans to carb????? any ideas? it jumps really bad when i put it into gear (p to reverse, p to drive, drive to reverse ...basicly moving to any gear......this might be low fluid? I didnt have time to check when i ot home ... also when at highway speed I take my foot off the gas and it makes a slipping/grinding sound.....

corp 12 bolt

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: 79 with t700 needs help....

If you do have a 700R4 it would have been swapped in. The detent cable is very important on that tranny and fixing it should be the second thing you do with it! Checking the fluid should be the first!

3. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

i do know that is was swaped in.....you know the story ....previous owner thought he was ASE certified and jerry rigged stuff to wrk...the carb spring is connected to the water neck for the radiator hose........where does the cable for the tranny connect? how does it work(pivot point???)..............

4. kennyw

You need a bracket from a 700R equipt motor that has a square hole and then it attaches to the throttle linkage on the carb. What carb are you running?

Anyone else have a pic of this area to show the guy what he needs?

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

There is a TV cable adjustment 'show and tell' on www.thirdgen.org that tells you how to do it.............simple procedure but if you do it wrong, toasted tranny.

6. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

edelbrock 1406 w/ performer intake, and cam, it was a kit (so he said)

tranny is making a grinding sound when i let off the gas....is the tranny already toast? the ATF is still red.........i have an appt tomarrow with a tranny shop to look at it....also a buddy of mine is dating a girl that owns a junk yard in TN ..he got a tranny for his F150 for w/30k on it for $100 shipped to his house from her.....he is going to ask if she can get a 350 or 400......

7. kennyw

Edelbrock sells the stub to attach the tranny cable to as an accessory. I had to do that for my old 85 S15 Jimmy w/350V8 & 700R4. I would get the cable hooked up right and adjusted first then recheck the tranny. That cable adjusts the line pressure for shifting and if set wrong it is probably what is causing that grinding. Just dont drive it out of adjustment or you will be helping it along.

8. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

well took it to the tranny shop.....they adjusted the TV cable for free, found 2 broken pan bolds that are alowing leakage.....said it would be 150 to pull the bolts and replace seals.....they found that the grinding noise was coming from the rearend......SOOOO what i thought was my detroit poping while at low speeds must be broken teeth in the diff and at high speed when i let off the gas i hear them grinding.......

what are everyones thoughs?????.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It could be your carrier bearings, this happened to me on my 12 bolt and it made evil noises when you let off the gas. If it needs a rebuild you are better off finding a used rear end to put in, don't spend $600 on your 12 bolt, you will regret it in the future. I spend $1500 on mine for rebuild, gears, and an Auburn...I sold if for a wopping $300 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If it's toast get another 12 bolt used or upgrade to a 14bff which is better in the long run.

10. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

call a local yard and they want 110.00 for a the rear end with out drums. what is the best way to find out what gear is in the rear end? pull the cove and look at what???? thanks guys....if its not one thing its another......

The heater is nt working....i hooked it up last night as the previous owner had it unhooked after an engine rebuild.....(i thought for sure the core was going to be leaking) Well last night it wsa working I had to run the engine with out the rad cap on to get the air out...thought i did a good job.... defrost was warm heater hoses were warm so i put everthing to gether and this am No heat......Im thinking of getting a flush kit and drain the whole system, flush it, and hope that helps get any air out....