Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thought of an anti wrap bar on the front end

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by 55Willy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Don't knwo if this is extreme enough for this forum, but the people who will be posting here should better understand what I'm asking (or thinking outloud) about.

The difference I see between a rear anti wrap bar (herein referred to as A-WB). and a front axle A-WB is that in the rear end suspension set up on a standard leaf spring rear the A-WB. is a fixed to a shackled mount to the front side of the suspension. where as the in the front suspension system it is almost impossible to get the A-WB to be infront of the axle. so if the A-WB is positionsed behind the axle and to a shackled mount at the t-case mount area, how do you determine if the shackle is in the right spot with out cycling the suspension. I guess in short... If I were to set up an A-WB on my ford spring equipped front end how do I know there is any preload on the A-WB of it is in phase with the travel of the shackles.

am I just thinking too much on the matter? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why can't you put the A-RB to the front?

Think of it this way:

The wheel goes back on compression and forward on droop because of the suspension design. From this it is safe to say that the IC of the suspension is somewhere above and in front of the axle. Now you are going to put in a RB that will have a IC above and behind the axle. It would be imposible for them not to fight each other. The only place behind the axle that would not fight would be somewhere BELOW the axle!

So you have a few choices as I see it:
    1) put in a single link that doesn't have a IC (and also doesn't control axle wrap as well as it uses the spring as a link in compression).
    2) put in a Ladder Bar going to the front bumper
    3) put the shackle in the front and a ladeer bar going to the rear.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Kinda hard to go to the front since the axle is forward about 5" as compaired to stock. plus with hi steer and crossover steering it would have to come off the front of the axle. where you'd get more comtrol coming off the top or bottom of the axle(leverage)
    I could however run a single bar from the axle housing to the tranny crossmember. kinda like what a toyota uses. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First point:

The name of the forum is a bit misleading. If you read the rules (top post), this is really more of a forum for discussion non-basic custom/home fab topics and issues. I guess you could say it is “extreme” because we are discussing “one off” personal projects and experimentation that can not be bought commercially. Those of us posting in here are going off the beaten path so to speak. So, your question is just fine in here.

Second:

Dan has already explained everything further and much more clearly than I could. If anything useful occurs to me, I’ll add more later, but for now, I have nothing to add…

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think you could get a from AW bar to work connected to the transfer case mount. The only issue I see is that the entire setup would move more as it would be on the other side of the arc on the suspension travel. A longer shackle mount to be able to soak up the movement might be the answer here. Mounting might be difficult to clear everything though.

How about a mount that ties into the passenger u-bolt cap with the bar running in parallel with the driveline? It may not be as efficient as a center mounted unit on the tube but it a front AW bar might be a compromise anyway.

I have a front hop problem in sand. I hope you figure this out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The whole purpose of an anti wrap bar is to control rotational movement of the axle I think you guys are over thinking this. To do this best at the axle the antiwrap bar must be attached at 2 places and with peices to allow for the misalighment of the axle itself when articulated. The other end can be a single solid mount which in most cases will kill articulation as on the popular rear setups you need something to allow for forward and backward moveement of the axle a shackle and slip yoke and the two most commently used I have seen they both work. Becasue of the rotaion of the peice being controlled. Measure actuall distance your axle travels then make a shackle that will give a solid peice close to the same travel. Tow points on the axle and a single point up top and axle wrap is 90% gone (nothing ever works perfecty) Hope this either helps or confuses you more pm me if you want clarification /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif