Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts of retribution thru a high volume oil pump...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, May 4, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I have a 1984 Blazer with what seems to me an aftermarket overworked stock car 350 engine...it has a slight rap--I've read about installing a high volume oil pump after pulling the pan. BUT--Don't you have to put like a 7 quart oil pan back in to accomodate the 20- to 25% increase in volume of oil pumped through the block-- I have the SUMMIT catalog right here in front of me--I'm trying to decide which one I might go for to help this ailing engine live a while longer-- (the oil pressure gauge is kinda flukey sending different signals all the time)
    Wondering what other kinds of mods you might have to do to do a high output iolpump? I'd like to stick with the stock style pan(save money) But I don't feel like shelling out an extra grand or so for a newer crate--
    Anyone done this yet?

--please help me out... I know I might not post here for a while but I do read what everyone writes! Almost everyday!--
    -Andy

"The only gun control this country needs is a steady hand".-- [​IMG]

2. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for a cheap fix first get a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Then you will know if you have a problem. A high volume pump will bring oil pressures back up to stock levels with your larger than stock bearing clearances. A high capacity pan would be nice if you can find one to fit, another option is to add a extra quart of oil and live with the few horsepower that it robs. Another thing to do at the same time (as the oil pump) is to replace the rear main seal with a offset seal. Also chamfer the oil passages where the pump bolts up to the rear main cap, It will increase the oil flow. OR a dry sump system will always take care of your problems!

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I used a sumit oil pump the last rebuild and I have never liked it! I'm looking to replace it with a good Moroso or Milling's Does any one know what after market pans fit?? I hate looking down and seeing 10 psi when going down something steep or haveing the fuel pump stop when I'm climbing something as all the oils in a valve cover or at the fromt of the pan!

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Andy,

I installed a High Volume pump on my 165,000 mile 400 Small Block. I have not had any problems with oil starvation. If you have a motor that is past the break-in stage and would also like to help oil pressure and longevity, go with a semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil. I recently converted to fully synthetic and the motor runs twice as smooth. Another cheap thing to do when inside your pan, buy a Moroso oil baffle that fits stock pans and bolts in between your pump and main cap. This will keep oil on the pickup when climbing steep hills. Plus, you may want to install a new rear main seal while you have the pan off. I would buy the good one-piece pan gasket. Definately go with a good oil pressure gauge like an AutoMeter brand. When I rebuild my motor, I plan to go with a deep 8 quart pan and a Moroso Accumilator system to pump oil when the pickup becomes uncovered. Most aftermarket pans do have an advantage, they have trap doors in the pan to hold oil close to the pickup.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run VDO Elec. gauges, with the oil pressure gauge reading both fuel (I run TPI)and oil with the senders haveing both lights and the gauge on them. It would be a sareday job to drop the pan and reaplace it and the pump and it needs to hapen soon!!!!!!!