Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on an 89 Camaro?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by MudFrog, Feb 19, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at an 89 Camaro for a DD, it has a 305 and I guess either TBI or TPI, I haven't looked at it yet. A good friend of my brothers is selling it, $250. The only thing it needs is a driveshaft, paint job, tires and a battery. They already put about $1200 into the car itself, starter, body work, etc.. He was going to drive it but he ended up buying a Honda /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyway, it's been sitting for around 3 years, they start it every couple of months so it has ran.

My question is, should I look for anything that wouldn't normally stand out? I've never owned a Camaro so I'm not sure what kind of problems they had.

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Should be TPI...friend of mine has one and the thing screws.(for having over 200,000 on it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) Be careful if it's a 5 speed, they're very weak. The car I mentioned was on it's secondtranny, and the latest one locked up on the highway. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    It is a Camaro, so keep in mind it's practically guarenteed that it's been beat on...but the price is right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I looked at it tonight, it's a little rough. The interior is very nice but he has taken the console / dash apart, just needs to be reassembled. It needs a hood, tires, tail lights, drive shaft and battery. I'll also buy wheels because they have the 5 star gold wheels and I really can't stand the way they look. All in all I think I can have a decent ride if I put about 1k into it. I'm not sure on the mileage though. BTW it has the 700R4 and they said it was a TBI although I did not verify it myself.

4. moore82

moore82 Registered Member

I wouldn't say all 89 camaros with 5speeds are week. I have one and it kicks ass. Runs 12's. Never had to a another tranny in it.