Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on FJ Cruiser?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Strahan, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I am in a thread on another forum where they are talking about it. I'm not really a big fan of the styling, but there was one pic I thought looked decent:

[​IMG]

Anyway.. I wanted to reply and give my thoughts on a real SUV so I came here and scanned the gallery and grabbed the first pic that summed up my thoughts:

[​IMG]

Told them I don't want an FJ, it's too pretty and I'd be afraid to scratch it on the trail heh. Anyway, one of the responses was: "Aside from ground clearence, I'd bet the Fj would be better in every other aspect over that K5."

:screwy: I dunno, maybe I'm either not up on the FJ or just too much of a K5 fan, but I don't see how that is gonna do better than a purpose built K5. I was preparing my rebuttal, just curious how you would answer that.. what would you list as reasons you'd rather trail a K5 than an FJ? ...or would you rather trail an FJ?

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

If have an '85 Kurb (built, not bought), and an '06 H3 with "Adventure". Scratching the H3 doesn't go over well with wifey, and if you lift it with larger tires, who makes gearing??? Its not smooth on the highway either, but if you gotta have a shiney SUV, its the one for those of us that know better.
    I can't and won't take the Kurb through 9-10 trails or X-rock, but its a DD, happy all day long at 80 mph and it does <8 trails with scratches and dental work. Its what I drive when I'm not "improving it". :D

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's an open ended argument. The problem is defining what a "purpose built" vehicle is and what the purpose is. For what you would spend on a "purpose built" FJ, you could have several K5's, or visa versa depending on how crazy you are.

You have to first define the argument into comparable terms.

4. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

You know the old adage about arguing on the Internet as it relates to the Special Olympics. Let the FJ folks have their FJs and be happy. No need to get in a pissing match about whose rig is better ...

5. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

You can make either vehicle just as capable as the other, but on a budget I'm sure you can make the K5 much more capable... plus in a head on collision I'd much rather be in a K5...

But specifically between those two trucks, I don't really know the specs on either... Horse power, flex, locked, fuel injected, 1-ton? So as mentioned before without specs, it's a pissing contest.

Just make the most valid point, that for the money they put into an FJ including purchase price and repair after breakage you can have a K5 that is twice as capable in every case.

6. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've heard that the FJ windshields crack very very easily. And they are ridiculously expensive to replace - can't validate that - but read it somewhere? Also - we have a company FJ - (shown below) and the blind spots in it are RIDICULOUS. The back seat is made for midgets - and if you read 4wheel & off-road, look at how much stuff they did getting the rig capable to go wheel a few months back.

[​IMG]

7. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Yea, good point. Nothing I can say will change their religion, hehe. Thanks all :)

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As much as I hate to say it, when comparing stock vehicles the FJ probably is better in most things.....better ride, better handling, better on-road performance (probably just as or more "peppy" and probably better braking), factory available rear locking diff for off-road performance, etc... For a wreck the FJ is probably safer with airbags and crumple zones that a K5 does not have.

9. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Over priced:eek1: and Under powered:doah: .Would make a colorful boat anchor:haha: :haha: .I guess I am old school.I have always liked the K5s and always will:bow:

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The FJ is underpowered? What would you consider a stock K5 then? A complete dog?

The FJ has a higher horspower to weight ratio than any stock K5 ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like the new FJs, but at least get the facts straight.

11. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

FJ cruisers in stock form work really well. Haven't seen a tricked-out one as of now. I've seen a stock one walk up DoubleWhammy on Golden Spike in Moab, and drive 'Spike without any issues.

I've been on several trails with stockers and slightly modified FJCs. Knocks are that you can't see out of it, the stock rear lower control arms are a weak spot, and it's easy to get hung on the control arm mounts. The rock sliders I've seen don't stick out far enough for my taste - you can slide if the rock is underneath, but from the side they won't keep a rock out of the door. No need to get too close to rocks with the stock bumpers - rocks win.

The newer ones let you use the computer traction control together with the rear locker; the traction control in action looks strange sometimes, but it seems to work well.

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I like the looks of it and as a stock off roader works pretty well. Friend has one. Definately would need some modification for hard core but what wouldn't. The main thing I don't like is the rear taillights sticking out of the vehicle at the corners to get bashed.

Like most new SUV's overprices and the lift kits and other mods are pretty expensive because of the newness.

13. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I'm buying my wife one Jan. '08 (I want to get a second model-year).
    She wants a short wheelbase vehicle with four doors; I want a 4X4; we both want a reliable SUV. A La Toyota FJ Cruiser.

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Overprice?! What are you basing this on?
    Or are you just talking out of your inferior orifice :D :wink1: ?!

Seriously,
    They start at $23,500.00. Even with all options, they're still under $35,000.00. Right off the showroom floor it can take more trails than most stockers.

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I hononstly would say a stock K5 probably won't do as well as that FJC, they work pretty well off road. You just have to go slow and pick your lines carefully. They sit really low though, a small lift and some bigge tires make them much more capable, I drove a stock one and a lifted one back to back, the lifted one was just easier to drive. Modified unless you went as far as the turtle (the ulitimate adventure FJ) a set up blazer would kick the FJs butt. The worst is the blind spots, worse than our blazers and pickups.

16. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

If your gonna wheel a brand new vehicle you better be able to see where you are going and the obstacles around you.
    The FJ has terrible blindspots. All the trails in my parts are in forests so there are lots of trees!! I cant picture wheelin a fj around here and go home without it looking like a raisen.

17. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

That is a very good point, I'll admit :wink1: !

18. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

i cant belive how well those fjs have taken off, imagine if they had a SAF.... then the aftermarket would be booming.

tons of guys are wheeling these brand new FJ's but parts are expensive and you could build a couple really nice built offroad trucks

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Or the black market take their SFA, and Cat.:haha:

20. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

the only thing the fj has that makes it better is that its new like all vehicles now a days they are very overpriced.

As far as the technology goes in ride handling and on road performance you have to allow that becasue its new and really isnt a fair comparison.

an FJ like said by so many is expensive to beef up and has limited parts compatibility with anything else. Our trucks and k5's have diffrent engines that can be easily swapped with each other even engines out of many other gm cars.

IMO crumple zones vs. a K5 the K5 would win. Airbags can also harm you instead of saving you sometimes.

Ok imagine that the engine and all that are pushed into your lap crucshing your lower back\pelvic area and demolishing your legs, the body and frame crumple and allow that to happen. The saftey rating tests are only 30-35 MPH front rear and side IIRC.
    Most of us do not travel at that speed that the tests are rated at when in an accident. Im not saying that its safer than the K5 but i would rather take my chances in the K5

to summ it up there are way too many factors im not biased but they are ugly and do not have the potential that older vehicles in general have.